How to differentiate multiple participants with the same name?

Joel Bradley October 27, 2020

If a project has multiple users with the same name, there's no way to figure out which is the correct user when you go to add a user to the requested participant's field.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 8.23.20 AM.png

Once a user has created an account and set their name, you can no longer add them via an e-mail address. How do I know which Joel Bradley to add? There's no hover over either like the Reporter field.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2020

Hi Joel,

one option would be to differentiate users with same name using something like

• John Doe (Accounting)
  • John Doe (Legal)
  • John Doe (SW Development)

Maybe it suffices to differentiate by avatar but I am not sure. I have seen (very) small teams where this was ok - depending on the size of your team/company this will not be efficient.

Cheers,
Daniel

Matt Harford February 8, 2021

I'm also interested in this - is there a way to actual do this in Jira, would this need to be done in our identity provider? It would really nice if you could just see a tooltip with the userid / department name when you mouse over a user. 

-Matt 

Yanick Schlatter June 23, 2023

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

How would you add the department information if the names are coming from our Active Directory?

Greetings

Yanick

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events