How to delete an issue from JIRA

Frans Leijdekkers March 25, 2019

I want to delete an issue from JIRA (so, not hide it). I have site administrator role, another user has administrator role, but we both can not delete an issue. The command "Delete" is available, but when we click on the issue, but after clicking we get a message we don't have the rights to do it.

7 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2019

First - bad idea to delete but that is just an experienced opinion. :-)

Second - it is odd that you cannot delete if you are indeed a jira admin. go to the project > project settings > permissions and look at the Delete permission to ensure the permissions include your role.

4 votes
Octavian Popescu June 11, 2021

None of the answers above is answering the actual question. So does Jira allow deleting of issues or not?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2021

@Octavian Popescu , absolutely you can delete an issue if you have the permissions it’s a simple process.

Like # people like this
Henrik Edström July 5, 2021

Still no answer. "How to delete an issue from JIRA?"

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2021

@Henrik Edström , See if this helps…

TMP

6BACF06F-0826-4D35-B65E-7267A7BF7E5D.jpeg

CMP

855727FC-95E7-47AB-ABAD-7A95C18FEE06.jpeg

basically, if you have the necessary permissions then in the detailed issue view click on ellipses in upper right and select Delete.

Like # people like this
Henrik Edström July 5, 2021

Thanks! That makes it very clear that I was looking in the right place but without the needed permissions.

Robert Randolph September 3, 2021

I have all the permissions, this is still not an option for me. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I have take 45 minutes of my day to try to figure out what should be an easily accessible basic functionality. 
Still can't do it. 
Ugh. 

Like # people like this
Martin Hibdon September 3, 2021

I'm not embarrassed to say it. I'm having the same experience. I an an administrator, and according to my project, administrators have delete permission.
I'm sure there's some setting somewhere that I need to change, but I don't feel like I'm stupid for not being able to find it.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2021

Please feel free to share more details. What type of project are you using? share a screenshot showing where you believe you have delete permission issues. Are you just simply not seeing the option to delete?

Like Diego Valle-Comin likes this
jira_test September 6, 2021

I had the same issue - checked the permission scheme and could see that Administrators role had delete permissions, checked the people page and confirmed that I was assigned Admin role via a group I was a member in. But still couldn't see the Delete in the list.

However, when I added myself to the Administrator role directly, I was able to see the delete option. Maybe this is the issue you are having?

Like # people like this
Carlo Babini September 28, 2021

Hi, 

Go On project Settings--> People, and check that you have your name and role there. If not add it, this worked for me

Good luck

Like # people like this
Armando Gonzalez October 8, 2021

This was the solution to the issue, even though your global user across many products has the jira-adminstrator and administrator role, it will not let you delete until you do what Carlo suggested. Thanks Carlo !

Like # people like this
Jonne Harja October 12, 2021

I had the same problem! Thanks Carlo! Really obscure UX again... You have a talent for these things I have to say!

Katharina Frohs December 9, 2021

@Carlo Babini: Thank you, that was very helpful!!!

michael_glenn_williams April 5, 2022

We are on the free Jira version. Even though Im an administrator and site admin, I cannot add myself to the People list. It tells me I have to go to to site admin, which is a circular rats maze with no cheese and no way out.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 4.01.33 PM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2022

@michael_glenn_williams , in the free plan all users or site Admins by default.

michael_glenn_williams April 5, 2022

Thanks Jack! I don't have the Delete item on the menu.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2022

@michael_glenn_williams , hopefully the rest of this thread helps isolate the cause. However, it may be that your issue falls into the scenario discussed in this post. Angelica explains the issue and the solution - How-do-you-delete-issues-on-Jira-Free-plan 

Like Nic likes this
1 vote
mshaikh November 24, 2021

Settings > Projects > Project Settings > People > Add People (This is the part where you add yourself and declare you are an admin) 

Once done. You will be able to select issues on the existing board and delete them 

Project_Settings.PNGAddPeople.PNG

Md Mahmudur Rahman June 7, 2022

this is the correct answer. 

John Matthews March 22, 2023

Does not work for free accounts, I have one user, me and am the org admin.  I should by default have delete perms.  Stupid that I have to jump through hoops and still the delete option is not there.

0 votes
John Matthews March 22, 2023

Not an answer here but this does not work for free accounts.  Delete is not an option even if you are the only user and are org admin.  Its says I should have access to all administrative tasks.  But alas delete is not an option.  Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.17.25 AM.png

See, no delete option

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.19.56 AM.png

0 votes
Henry Dean October 7, 2021

bit late to the party but the only situation I can see deleting a ticket to be valid is if its been created mistakenly and has no content on. 

This is something that has just happened to me and I'm relatively new to the platform, I have added myself onto the project's people list as a PM but I am still unable to see the delete option as shown in the screenshot.

Could someone advise me on the best way to get rid of this irrelevant ticket that has zero info on for our devs? Be much appreciated!JIRA incorrect ticket.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2021

You will need to have a Jira admin give you delete permissions.

0 votes
Bruno Marcandella October 1, 2021

Go On project Settings--> People, and check that you have your name and role there. If not add it, this worked for me

That's the right answer in my case

Thanks a lot for this (at last) pragmatical answer.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2019

likde @Jack Brickey said: Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

Martin Hibdon September 3, 2021

Oops, well it turns out I actually was the stupid one. I didn't actually have admin permission, everyone else on my team did.

A little odd since I created the project, workflow and kanban board, all without being an admin. But still, that was the problem.

Suggest an answer