How do you delete issues on Jira Free plan?

Nir Ben-Zvi October 22, 2019

I'm a site & org admin in our Jira instance.

I've created a project, but can't delete issues from this project.

The common answer for this is "add yourself as a project admin" - problem is, with the free plan, project permissions are disabled. 

So... how can I delete issues in the free plan, if at all?

3 answers

1 vote
Rostyslav Sipakov November 3, 2020

Hey there,

Below I will give my solution to this task. Trial (free) version for Jira Core.

1) Go to Project Settings>Permissions

You can see that to delete issues is possible only for users:

• Project Role (Administrators)
  • Project Role (atlassian-addons-project-access)

2) Go to People (left side, under Details)

You will see the empty/blank page (see attached).

3) Click to Add people

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 3.15.22 PM.png

You need to add yourself as an administrator to the project.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 3.17.46 PM.png

4) Back to project>All issues

5) Choose the required to delete the issue.

6) The Delete function will now appear in the three dots menu.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 3.20.39 PM.png

Done ;)

Tracy Bartella-Metell November 13, 2020

You can also do this if you're a Site Admin through Settings -> Permission Schemes -> Find the "Delete Issues" permission and add whatever user group you'd like to that permission. 

This lets you assign Delete Issues across your whole Jira instance and to more than 1 user at a time via the user group. 

Like Rostyslav Sipakov likes this
jjg77 April 25, 2022

None of these options work anymore with the free plan.  I see no way to delete issues under the free plan.

Like Martin Arendar likes this
Farhad M May 28, 2022

Hi,

did you find an option to delete a issue with a freeplan?

thanks

Tim Gaul January 23, 2023

Seems like a hard no. I was merely evaluating before committing to a product - and Jira always finds a way to stuff me around.

0 votes
Farhad M May 28, 2022

Do you have any idea how to delete an issue with a free plan? Because non of this option are working for me.. I am using a free plan and I am site admin and I created the project

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

Hi Nir,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

To delete issues from the project, you need to open the ticket and click on > Delete:

Screenshot 2019-10-22_17-00-23-172.png

If you created the project, you are the administrator. You can see this information on Project settings > People.

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

Nir Ben-Zvi October 22, 2019

Hi Angélica,

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid both options don't exist (please note that I'm an experienced Jira admin). 

(1) The "Delete" option doesn't appear in the menu, see photo:

Screenshot_1.png

(2) The "People" section is blocked, because we are on the free plan, see photo:

Screenshot_2.png

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Nir

Nir Ben-Zvi October 24, 2019

@Angélica Luz - any further advice on how to resolve this? Thanks!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2019

Thank you for the screenshots. 

I created a brand new project here to test and the options still show for me.

I checked and confirmed on our documentation that basic features like delete/edit issues, delete a project or change its name are still available.

Just to make sure I’m testing the same project as you, you are using a Jira Software project, is that correct?

What is the issue type?

Are you opening this ticket directly on the board, backlog or on Issues and filters?

Nir Ben-Zvi November 21, 2019

Hi @Angélica Luz

Sorry for the late reply. 

The issue still persists (cannot delete issues), and now I've also noticed that none of our users has the permission to "change reporter" for issues. Not sure if this is related to the original problem with "delete" as well.

As for your questions:

1. We are indeed using a Jira Software project.
  2. The issue types are custom, created by us for our own workflows (called "Aritcle", "Project" and "Update").
  3. I tried opening and deleting the issue in all views suggested (directly q board / backlog / filters) - to no avail. 

Just to reiterate:  I'm a site & org admin for Jira cloud instance, and also created the single project we are working on. 

Perhaps you can access our instance directly to check out the specific problem? I can add your email if needed.

Thanks!

Nir

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2019

Thank you for the details, Nir.

I believe you are using a Classic project and not a Next-gen, is that correct?

If so, can you please go to Project settings > Permission to confirm if everyone has permission to delete? You won’t be able to edit, but we can see who has permission.

Also, was this project created directly on the site or it was a migration from other Cloud or Server sites?

Would it be possible to create a new project just to test if the same issue happens?

Nir Ben-Zvi November 27, 2019

@Angélica Luz ,

1. Classic project, Indeed.
  2. Below is a screenshot of "permissions" screen. Seems to be in order.
  3. Issue does not persist when starting a new project. Seems to be specific only to the one project we are actually using :)
  4. The project was created directly on the site.

How do we proceed from here?

Thanks,

Nir

Screenshot_4.png

Pierre Demessence November 27, 2019

I had this issue too, Classic Project with a Free Plan and unable to delete issues.

But I made a new Classic Project and saw that the permissions to delete issues were not the same than the first one. And it shouldn't be my doing since being in a Free Plan I shouldn't be able to change permissions.

Here are the permissions of the first project I made (in which I couldn't delete issues):Annotation 2019-11-27 193006.pngAnd the permissions of the second project I made (in which I could delete issues):Annotation 2019-11-27 193016.png

Nir Ben-Zvi November 28, 2019

@Pierre Demessence - Thanks!

This sounds like a bug... @Angélica Luz - Is there any chance you can manually edit in the backend the permissions for our project, so deletion would be enabled?

I can create a new project, but then I'll have to migrate which I'm not sure exactly how to do, surely without creating too much interruption for the team.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 28, 2019

Hi @Nir Ben-Zvi and @Pierre Demessence,

Thank you very much for the screenshots and details. I can now see what is happening.

When we create a project on the Standard plan, the permission to delete issues will be added only to administrators, and for the Free plan, it's added to everyone.

In both of your cases, when you subscribed to Jira you got the Standard plan and created the project, but then switched to the Free plan where the permissions were preserved, but no longer able to change it, that's why the first project is different from the new one where the ability to delete issue works.

This is not a bug but expected because the projects were created using different plans.

Project permissions, roles, and issue-level security in Free plans

Changing from Standard or Premium to Free

If you change from a paid plan to Jira Software Free or Jira Core Free, project permissions, roles, and issue security schemes are locked in their current state and you'll need to upgrade to a Standard or Premium plan to change them. If you had previously allowed anonymous access to projects, that anonymous access will be removed when you change to a Free plan. Jira won't change any other permissions, roles, or security schemes, as this could reveal project information that shouldn't be shared with certain users.

@Nir Ben-Zvi, can you try to upgrade your plan to Standard just to change the permissions and then switch back to Free?

You can do this by going to Administration > Billing > Manage subscriptions.

Screen Recording 2019-11-28 at 10.11 AM.gif

If you already used all the trial periods and can't change this back without adding payment details, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Like # people like this
Nir Ben-Zvi November 30, 2019

@Angélica Luz - that did it! Thanks :)

Like Angélica Luz likes this
blackflame007 February 8, 2020

@Angélica Luz I was also having this issue in my recent project, I created a new project and bulk moved everything to the new classic project and I was able to preform all the correct actions now. Your reply gave me the confirmation I needed for my problem Thanks

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer