How to create issue links between sub-tasks in a CSV import?

E August 23, 2016

Hi. 

I’m importing a CSV file and I want to create issue links (issue “blocks,” issues “is blocked by,” etc.) between sub-tasks of the same task.

I have used Issue ID and Parent ID columns to create the sub-tasks, following directions from Importing data from CSV. All is fine and well with this step. 

Now here's where I run into the block. I’ve found documentation on linking issues in a CSV file import (How to Import Issue Links from a CSV Filethat says one column must be mapped as Issue ID and the other as the desired link type. However, since I’m not including any value in the Issue ID fields for sub-tasks, I can’t use those steps to create links between sub-tasks. 

Is there another way to create issue links between sub-tasks in a CSV import? 

Thanks!

NOTE: I know that I can do the linking manually once the issues are imported in JIRA, but I want to do this within the CSV import as this is a large upload. 

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2016

Hi Emilie,

If the issue that you are linking to is not already present in JIRA then in the Issue id column you can mention any unique random number. It need not to be a JIRA Issue key.

-Ravi

E August 24, 2016

Hi Ravi, 

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, the issues are NOT present in JIRA; they would be newly imported with the CSV template. 

Unfortunately, if I'm to follow the directions laid out in Importing data from CSV, I can't have anything in the Issue ID for sub-tasks. (It seems https://confluence.atlassian.com/ is down right now, so I can't quote the exact line.) And since I can't include Issue IDs for sub-tasks, I have no way of linking sub-task issues. 

For reference, here's a super simplified version of what my template looks like:

Issue TypeSummaryIssue IDParent IDrelates tohas to be done beforehas to be done after
TaskTask A1 2  
Sub-taskSub-task A1 1   
Sub-taskSub-task A2 1   
Sub-taskSub-task A3 1   
Sub-taskSub-task A4 1   
TaskTask B2 1  
Sub-taskSub-task B1 2   
Sub-taskSub-task B2 2   
Sub-taskSub-task B3 2   
Sub-taskSub-task B4 2   

Any ideas? 

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2017

Hi Emilie, 

I'm running into this problem myself at the moment. 
Have you found a solution? 

Thanks! 

- Tessa

Suggest an answer