How to create a hierarchy Epic --> Feature ---> Story -

Richard Oberndorfer August 26, 2022

Hello,

we have just switched to JIRA Premium and want to add Features as types and bring them into the hierarchy Epic --> Feature ---> Story.

Which does not work as expected.

What we did:

- create an advanced roadmap for a project

- added the existing issue type "feature" to the issue types for the current schema for this schema

- changed the issue type hierarchy like

image.png

When I now try to create a feature and set the epic link to an existing epic I get the error message " You can only set epic links for issues on the Story level. Please check your hierarchy configuration settings".

And there is another problem: when I create a Feature without an EPIC link (to be able to create it), i cannot create story within the Feature. Of course I can create a story, but how do I connect that to the feature from a hierarchy perspective.

Whats missing or wrong?  From my point of view the hierarchy does not work.

Thanks in Advance

Ritchie

4 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hello @Richard Oberndorfer 

Welcome to the community.

Advanced Roadmaps allows you to add issue levels only above Epics. You cannot insert a level between Epics and Story.

In your image showing the hierarchy, the order you see the issue types listed is the order of the hierarchy. Ignore the numbers next to Epics and Feature. Since Feature is above Epic, it is at the top of the hierarchy.

There is a change request to allow inserting a level between Epic and Story. Refer to 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18875

Alternately you can look for a third party app. One such app is mentioned in the responses on this post:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-add-another-hierarchy-as-features-under-epics-in-Jira/qaq-p/1896305

Richard Oberndorfer August 27, 2022

@Trudy Claspill 

Thanks.

If a feature is under or over an EPIC is an discussion for its own, in my recent projects they were placed between EPIC and STORY (but as it looks, they used an app for this)

, But her it is easy, as we don't have an additional app and can place features only on top of epics, we will do. Nevertheless I will take a look at the app too.

Many thanks

Ritchie

0 votes
Kathryn Vargas _Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Richard Oberndorfer

Following up on what @Trudy Claspill mentioned, there are a number of third-apps in the Atlassian Marketplace that could help you build this hierarchy. Structure is one of them. 

Structure lets you visualize default parent-child relationships in Jira (like epic > story > sub-task), but its real power is in its ability and flexibility to visualize any other issue links between stories, tasks, and other issue types in an organization.

It also allows you to add any Jira field as a column, so that pull all your work together in one spreadsheet-like view. From here, you can also sum up values in any column that contains numeric values (like Story Points and Estimates) which is useful for reporting, sprint planning, planning, etc.

Here's Structure in action with a 5-level hierarchy:

structure-expand-hierarchy.gif

Disclaimer: I'm part of the Structure team, but I hope this helps. 

Best,
Kathryn

0 votes
Richard Oberndorfer August 27, 2022

Ok  I have now changed the hierarchy, added a type INITIATIVE and placed it above EPIC.

image.png

I created a Test-Initiative and now the question is: how can I add an EPIC to the related INITIATIVE? Stories connect to EPICS with the EPIC Link field, but what about connection Epics to Initiatives?  Is that the general "Parent Link"?

Thanks Ritchie

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 27, 2022

Hi @Richard Oberndorfer 

Welcome to the community !!

You can use issue links to create your own hierarchy above and below Epics or infact at any level.

To visualize the hierarchy based on the issue links, we have created an app to track the progress at each level,

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

Key features of Links Hierarchy:

• Hierarchy upto 10 levels deep
  • Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion at all levels
  • Ability to add/remove the columns on the report

Links HIerarchy.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events