How to add another hierarchy as 'features' under 'epics' in Jira ?

Medha Kapoor December 27, 2021

Hi.. 

Can someone let me know hoe can I add another level as 'features' under epics in Jira. 

I created another issue type as 'feature' , but stories and features are at the same level and I am unable to create hierarchy as Project > Epics> Features > Story.

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2021

You do not.  Jira Software's hierarchy is Epic -> Story - Sub-task, and that is fixed.

Projects are not relevant to the hierarchy because Epics are expected to go across projects.

If you add Advanced Roadmaps or other scaling apps, you can extend that upwards, putting layers above Epic.  If you do that, then you can rename Epic to Feature, to make the naming match your scheme.

However, you can also use the Structure app to build any hierarchy you want, including layers that appear to be between Jira's Epic and Story levels.

1 vote
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2021

Hello @Medha Kapoor 

Welcome to the community, you are using Advanced Roadmas, right?  Hierarchy levels can only be adjusted in A. Roadmaps, it's called "initiative hierarchy level" 

Here is the documentation/how to achieve it.

Configuring initiatives and other hierarchy levels 

BR, Olga

Medha Kapoor December 27, 2021

Hey . Thanks for the response .. We are using a cloud version and Roadmaps are currently not available for cloud. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2021

Yes they are, they are part of a premium subscription.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 27, 2021

Hi @Medha Kapoor

JXL for Jira would be another option for you. It allows configuring any hierarchy of issue types, both based on Jira's "native" parent-child relationships (Epic/Story, Story/Subtask) and based on so-called issue links. 

(It also gives you a full-fledged table/spreadsheet view on your issues that comes with all features you're familiar with from Excel, Google Sheets, etc; inline editing, inline issue creation, fast sorting and filtering, and much more.)

This is how e.g. a 5-level hierarchy would look in action:

5-level-hierarchy.gif

More info on https://jxl.app. Reach out anytime for questions etc.

(Disclaimer: I work on JXL :))

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 27, 2021

Hi @Medha Kapoor 

Welcome to the community !!

You can use issue links to create your own hierarchy above and below Epics or infact at any level.

To visualize the hierarchy based on the issue links, we have created an app to track the progress at each level,

Agile Tools - Epic Tree, Links Tree and Time in Status 

Key features of Links Hierarchy:

• Hierarchy upto 10 levels deep
  • Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion at all levels
  • Ability to add/remove the columns on the report

Links Hierarchy.png

Suggest an answer