How to create a custom field to appear on Issue page

Karrie Dash April 4, 2017

I have created a custom text field (ready only) under Administration --> Issues --> Custom Fields.

How do I add this to the issue page for one project? It does not need to appear on the Create Issue page (it can if necessary) but it does need to appear when viewing & editing an issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2017

You may specify on which screens the custom fields appear on the issues:

1. Go to Administration>Issues>Custom Fields,
  2. Click the gear next to the custom field
  3. Choose screens
  4. Check the screens you want
Karrie Dash April 5, 2017

The field appears on the issue screen for new issues but not issues that were already created. How can I add the field to current issues without going to Admin > Add Field for all issues?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2017

On my test instance the fields do appear on existing tickets that were created before the custom fields were applied. I wonder what we are doing differently?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2017

They're trying to find empty fields on the view screen I'd suspect. 

Karrie Dash June 16, 2017

That is correct. Once a value other than "none" has been selected for the field, it appeared on the view screen.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2017

Sorry, but there's no way around it around it. I would NOT suggest adding default values like "N/A" or "Empty", it defeats the "field is EMPTY" JQL searches that prove useful.

If you really, really need this, you can customize JIRA Server. You cannot customize JIRA Cloud, so I have no suggestions.

You should take the source code of the Custom Fields that exist and modify their templates. Their VIEW template performs something like this:

#if($field.value)
<input type='text' value='$field.value' />
#end

Effectively, they currently check to see if the field has a value before rendering. You should disable that IF check. You may need to adjust other things but this is likely the simple, scrapy solution.

0 votes
krayi April 13, 2017
I need to display custom field value in email body.
Can anyone brief me how to append the above mentioned custom field in email body??
&nbsp;
Karrie Dash April 13, 2017

I don't know how to get the value to appear in an email. You will probably get a quicker answer by posting a new question.

Suggest an answer