How to create JIRA tickets dynamically from outlook emails?

charitha_r July 5, 2024

Hi Team,

Please help me on creating the JIRA tickets as and when I get outlook email. 
Is it through connectors or we need admin access in JIRA to do that? Please advise.

Thank you!

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2024

Hello @charitha_r 

Have you reviewed this information?

Create issues and comments from email 

charitha_r July 5, 2024

Hello Trudy, Thank you for replying.

I do not have admin access to JIRA . I dont think I can add incoming mail server. However I will try to get admin access. 

But is there a way I can create tickets from outlook emails as we do in Microsoft outlook for JIRA connector by creating a workflow?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2024

I have never used the Microsoft Outlook for Jira Connector. I'm not very familiar with its functionality.

Are you trying to automatically create issues when emails are received by a generic email address, or are you wanting to create Jira issues from emails that you are receiving personally?

Setting up a mail server and mail handler would be the solution if you want to create issues from emails received by a generic email address.

If you are looking for the latter, creating a Jira issue from an email you receive, and you require a free solution (as you mentioned in your other post), then take a look at this:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Try-Jira-Cloud-for-Outlook-Organize-your-work-without-leaving/ba-p/1081661

charitha_r July 5, 2024

This helped to create JIRA issues manually, Thank you so much!

However, is there a way to do this dynamically? Every time I receive email on outlook (any user sends) that should be logged as an issue on JIRA.

Please advise.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2024

Hello @charitha_r 

What is the root problem you are trying to solve?

Are you trying to enable any user to create issues in a specific project?

Or should the issues be created only if the email comes directly to you?

Should every email that comes to you create a Jira Issue?

Do you want the issue created in a Jira Software project, a Jira Work Management project (aka Business project), or a Jira Service Management project?

Are the senders of these emails licensed users of Jira?

What types of emails are they sending you? Is this a situation where you are performing a help desk type of service? Are the senders reporting bugs in your product?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events