How to clear field values during clone using automation for Jira

Vineela Durbha May 2, 2024

Hi team,

Is there a way to clear field values during the clone operation using Automation for Jira plugin

1 answer

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2024

Hello @Vineela Durbha 

When cloning, on the screen, You could just choose the field in drop down and leave it blank, it clears the field... or explicitly use {{clear}} smart value.. Are you looking to clear only certain fields?  

If you are only interested in few fields, maybe consider creating a new issue and explicitly adding fields from trigger issue instead of cloning and removing fields? Just another option..

Hi @Kalyan Sattaluri 

I dont have an option of selecting or unselecting the fields during clone

So looking for some script or automation here

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2024

Hi @Vineela Durbha 

Adding to Kalyan's suggestions...

Would you please post an image of your complete automation rule and an image of the Clone Issue action?  Those will provide context to compare what you are describing to what was suggested.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

I am trying to use Automation for Jira and i am not finding any option to clear custom field values during clone. So looking for some inputs here

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2024

When using the clone issue action in a rule, you may select specific fields to set rather than be copied.  Leaving the field empty will clear it.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 114854 - Copy.png

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

I dont see the option of "Clone issue" in Automation rules.

Can you provide the navigation path of the same

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2024

A person's Jira user account must have at least project admin permissions to create / manage automation rules.

With that, they may navigate from the left-panel > project settings > automation

If you do not see that option, you are not a project admin.  Please ask your project admin for help.

When creating a rule, there is a rule action named Clone Issue: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-actions/#Clone-issue

If you do not see that, please talk to your project admin or Jira sit admin for help.

mummareddy supriya May 15, 2024

@Bill Sheboy to replicate an epic using the Clone Epic function, but are having issues with the work logs and review checklists (all 3) being cleared out. 

1. Work log displays green bar (4d 2h 30m) with no history on story, should be cleared out and show 0m time logged
  2. Remaining value is including work log from cloned story
  3. Review Sub-task: Work log displays 30 min, should be 0

1. Review checklists (Review Checklist - Generic:, Review Checklist - Type Specific:, and Checklists - Review Findings) prepopulated, should be replicated, but not already checked off.I need to remove Estimation and review checklist while cloning ,please guide me on this if any one knows about it as how to do it.Thanks in Advance 
Maxime Lefebvre _Okapya_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2024

Hi @mummareddy supriya

This looks like our Checklist for Jira Data Center app.

You can use our Edit Checklists automation action to uncheck all items easily.

Cheers!
Maxime

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2024

Hi @mummareddy supriya 

Rather than adding to this question with a new question, please create your own.  That will help focus the conversation on solving your need.

When you create your question, please include your Jira version, an image of your complete rule, and an image audit log details showing the rule execution.  Those will provide context for the community to help.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

mummareddy supriya May 15, 2024

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Clone-Epic-Function-Story-Review-Sub-task-Field-Clearing/qaq-p/2693246 

@Bill Sheboy created a new ticket, please help me with this.I really appreciate it if you help me with this ticket

Suggest an answer