How to change project lead

I am trying to change the project lead on an existing project in Jira OnDemand.

I have tried going through the documentation and through Jira options, and I cannot find screens that match those in the descriptions of how to change project lead. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

16 answers

1 accepted

Hi, one of the ways to change a project lead would be (you will need administer project priveledge to do either of the below described):

visit https://[your-account].atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/project-config/[project-key]/people

where [your-account] is your ondemand instance, and [project-key] is the 2 or 3 letter project key.

on the page that loads click little pencil icon next to project lead, and choose a new user to be the project lead.

Or:

1. Log in to your jira account.

2. In the projects drop down select the project you want to change the lead for.

3. In the upper right corner of the screen, right below issue search there is "Administer project" button.

4. You will see an administration summary page for that project. In the line that says JIRA Project:

click configure link.
5. Under people you will see the default assingee, name of the current project lead, and roles. Click more link.
6. On that page that comes up, click little pencil icon next to project lead, and choose a new user to be the project lead.

Just a note, now it's https://[your-account].atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/project-config/[project-key]/roles and "Edit defaults" link on upper right corner.

Yes, astonishingly difficult to just to easy stuff. I agree sad

To expand on Simon Coles answer:
Read this one: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-project-role-membership-185729456.html

It's under "The cogwheel" (top right corner symbol) ->Projects -> The project name -> Roles (in the left menu) -> Edit defaults. 

Stupid place to put it. But at least now we all know where it is. 

Thanks! Crazy hard to find... ugh.

Spent an hour on this... :-/

Thanks. This saved me a lot of time

Yep, Right on!  Works excellently.  One minor modification - the 'Roles' mentioned on my options is "Roles and Users"

Latest update as I couldn't find the steps listed here as of 2015.

1. Click the cog icon top right and under JIRA Administration > Projects (Choose projects)
  2. Press the name of your project to take you to the project administration page
  3. On the left hand menu scroll down and find "Users and roles"
  4. On the page that loads on the top right of the white page you will see "Add users to a role | edit defaults" press edit defaults
  5. Type in the name of the user to change the project lead.

Took me an hour or more to find this.

In v6.4.13#64028-sha1:b7939e9 (standalone version), it is slightly different.

1. Click the cog icon top right and under JIRA Administration > Projects (Choose projects)
  2. Press the name of your project to take you to the project administration page
  3. On the left hand menu scroll down and find "Roles"
  4. Click the pencil icon next to the "Project Lead:" field. 
  5. Type in the name of the user to change the project lead.
  6. Click "Update" button.

In v7.2.0#72002-sha1:36e1562 (standalone version) it is as @Ray Mosley describes. Step 1 and 2 can be replaced by:

1. Open the project
  2. Press the cog icon 'Project settings' on the sidebar

Why is this so difficult? Under Project, select the project, on the top right is says who the project lead is. It should be possible to change it there, but it is not

step 5 does not apply to me

Oddly, I've been searching for the past 30 min and i'm unable to find the page or link? I'm currently unable to change the user role , any help or suggestions? 

Its astonishing at how difficult even the most simple tweaks are with this software.

In my case I did not find any "Administer project" option(I have JIRA stand alone).But I could find option to edit project lead as follows:

1.Log into JIRA account as an administractor

2.In the projects drop down select the project you want to change the lead for.

3.On the Summary page you will see 'People' section

4.Where project lead,default asignee and Roles have been given

5.There is a 'More' option just below them in same section,click that

6.It will Open 'People' page where on top you will see 'JIRA enables you to allocate particular people to specific roles in your project. Roles are used when defining other settings, like notifications and permissions.' Project Lead 'ID of project lead' and there is a pencil like icon there.

7.Select that pencil like option and you will see Project lead edit popup

Anushree Bhate

These suggestions do not help as they appear out of date. Any other suggestions on how to change a Project Lead?

Ludicrously difficult. Aimlessly losing time trying to find how to do this most simple of tasks. 

EDIT: It's hidden behind a link called "Edit Defaults"... sigh An hour of my life I won't get back.

Thanks Tore. I was shaking with rage too much to type all the details smile 

Simon, haha, I can imagine smile

Your post was the one that gave me hope to solve the question. All the other posts were old but you posted yesterday saying that you managed to solve it. Thus I knew that it was possible. Only took me 15 more minutes after that to find the solution, hehe. 

I have found that Atlassian products are not very intuitive at all. Doing something this simple should not take this many steps. And I have yet to even get it to work!

Hi Chris, did you sort this? 

Tore Friskopp's Sep 18, 2015 response should be spot on. 

There is a bug introduced in JIRA  7.2.0 - 7.2.2 at least

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-60081

Project Lead can be changed only by JIRA administrator. Odd

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,755 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot