How to change language throughout all of JIRA / translate all content

Molly Favret May 23, 2012

In a user profile, when you change the language, it converts the default JIRA field names and some content, but most of the custom fields and user inputted information is still shown in English. Is there a way to translate all content across the application on a user by user basis? For example, if we want to deploy across multiple countries, can some users instances be in Spanish, German, English, etc?

I found documentation on translating JIRA but nothing was particularly helpful.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

Hi Molly,

I noticed this issue a while ago. There has been a lot of questions about this like:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/48199/accepted-translations-don-t-apply-please-vote-on-my-jira-issue

And @Christian created a Jira issue for this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28198

In this case is for german, but this a bug that hasn't been fixed yet.

0 votes
atharakan April 10, 2017

Please use the Google Translate Extention in Chrome Browser and you can translate the content too.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

The transalations work only for the default JIRA content. The user input data will not be translated. Similarly third party plugins etc might not support transalation and it will depend on how the plugin is implemented.

Even in the default translataions, there maybe loopholes and that where the "Translating JIRA" document is helpful.

Niamh Williams September 16, 2019

Hi this answer was in 2012.  Has this changed in Jira since?

Suggest an answer