Accepted translations don't apply - please vote on my JIRA issue

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2012

HI everyone,

there's a problem we are facing which really is a pain in the ... - translations, in our case German translations. New features aren't translated by Atlassian when they ship their products (e.g. issue links to Confluence pages /"is mentioned in"), OK...I have come to understand that translations are being maintained by a community (I do contribute myself...). I regularly check on updates and upload them via the UPM. Now the question: Why do certain translations not get reflected in the system. As an example I'd like to point out the descriptions on the project administration page. In the screenshot attached you can see that the descriptions are all in English while the headings are being translated. Many translations of the descriptions have been accepted almost A YEAR AGO but won't apply. Am I missing something here? Issues have been raised and marked as solved but the problem isn't solved for me. It really is kind of embarrasing showing people and potential customers JIRA features and always having to point out that the translations are being adressed half hartedly...I could certainly live with that since I prefer the English interface, many of our customers don't.

Any ideas on that or do I have to raise just another issue...

/*Edit*/

I have raised an issue here (quickly linking it to related issues):

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28198

Thanks,

Christian

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

Hi Christian,

It you want to fix or change any translation and make your change public then you can simply go to the http://translations.atlassian.com, make a change, make sure it is accepted, download language pack and install it via UPM.

Sometimes it is not easy to find particular message on translations.atlassian.com if you don't know the message key. Therefore you may find useful InProduct translation plugin for JIRA we have just released.

It allows to translate JIRA right from its page so you can see all messages and provided translations live in a second. Just install the plugin in JIRA, select "Translate Page" from the user profile menu in JIRA and start translations.

The plugin is available in marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.translations.jira.inproduct
You can install it from the UPM. It works with JIRA 5.1+.

Cheers,
Jacek

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2012

Hi Jacek,

in my post I was talking about translations that HAD been accepted... with no effect. Nevertheless, I'll try the new plugin:-)

Cheers Christian

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2012

Ahh, I did not read it carefully enough. I'm sorry.

BTW. I have fixed related issue in JIRA some time ago. Take a look at: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-25508. Unfortunately I can't help with this one as I'm no longer part of the JIRA team. It looks like a bug which simply needs to be fixed.

Cheers,
Jacek

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2012

I think you should change that issue a little bit, instead of 'German translations don't apply' put 'Transaltions don't apply' because I'm pretty sure that people that doesn't speak German won't upvote the issue.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2012

+1 Couldn't agree more with this. I'm having the same trouble, and I've been looking for solutions but nothing by now :(

Suggest an answer