How to change issue key rule by type

Peter Chen November 5, 2019

By default, the issue key is <project_key>-<issue_no>. In our case, we expected that issue ID is generated automatically by type, for example, bug type issue is Bug-123, story type issue is Story-123.

We found a similar issue on the community but no solution is listed in it.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Jira-issue-types-prefix/qaq-p/8397

How to change the issue key rule by type? Or any plugin can do it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

This is an OLD issue. To do this you'd have to rewrite major parts of the source code. I'm not aware of any plugin that does that. You're best bet is to look for a plugin that will generate the requested type of number and add the custom field to your project

Peter Chen November 6, 2019

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your information. We cannot find available plugin to do it. What's the meaning about the way that you said is "rewrite major parts of the source code"? As the Jira administrator, where and how to get the source code and rewirte it? Not quite understand the details.

Regards,

Peter.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

The code isn't available through the application. You would need to have SA rights on the server and look into the installed files to figure out everywhere you would need to change it. You would need to include the project the issue was in so your key would need to be something like proj-type-number otherwise you and JIRA would have no way of knowing what project to associate the issue with. Next next problem would be when you upgrade to another version of JIRA you would need to go back and verify the old updates would work and not break a new function. In my opinion this is a VERY BAD idea. 

Peter Chen November 6, 2019

Hi Joe,

Our Jira sever version is 8.2.2 and the default issue key is always <project key>-<number>, the feature isn't available, right?

Regards,

Peter.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

I don't have that version, but I'd have to say no. Like I said, people have been asking to modify the project key since before I started working with JIRA in 2007. I don't believe they will ever change. It would require a major rewrite. 

Peter Chen November 7, 2019

Hi Joe,

Got it now. Thanks a lot for your help and information. 

Regards,

Peter.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

Please mark my answer as accepted if it answers your question. I know it isn't the answer you were hoping for. 

Suggest an answer