Jira issue types prefix

Deleted user May 3, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Administering JIRA Software

Good morning.

Is there any way to configure various Jira issue types to generate issue types prefixes depending on the issue type created

For example if I have a BUG or custom item type such as Test Case or Requirement 

Item number would look something like that BUG - 123, or for Requirement: REQ -123, or for Test Case: TC-123

Since by default all issue types use prefix from project names and not from issue types

Any help much appreciate it

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2016

Other than what Nic mentioned with a project for each issue type, If you really wanted to you could create a new custom field, or a scripted field and create your own key like field.. however there really is no point to either of those options.  It seems like a lot of overhead managing it all when can have one project and you can parse out the different types with a simple search criteria..

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2016

The only way to do that is to put each issue type into its own project.

An issue key is always <project key>-<number>

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2016

Nope, you cannot change it to something like that. JIRA will always use the pattern globally configured, in this case the JIRA Project key. Besides, doing what you want will confuse everyone else like what project is REQ-123 for? 

Deleted user May 3, 2016

I would prefer to configure in such as way that the user would able to see a project name with an issue type all together for example

testproject/req-123

testproject/bug-123

testproject/ts-123

Like Swaroop Rao likes this
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2016

Your JIRA Project key can only be configured for a pattern (e.g. alphabets only, alphanumeric), but no ability add another variable on it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2016

It can't be changed - you'd have to rewrite half of JIRA and a lot of the add-ons.  I think Gabrielle is correct about the confusion as well.  But also, you've already got the issue type as a field almost anywhere, so I can't actually see that this structure would add anything of use for the users.  I know an issue is a bug by looking at the icon or text next to it.

Madhavi Guddeti March 28, 2018

Hi All,

I have the similar requirement of Gennady Simkin i.e. customized key number based on the Project + Issue type.

Example -

PRO1_REQ_1 - requirements

PRO1_TC_1 - Test cases

PRO1_D_1 - For defects

Challenge is if I have ONLY the Project + number (example:- PRO1_1), does not give me the clear picture is it a requirement, test case, defect etc. when it is referred out of JIRA tool.

Do we have any updates made in JIRA to accommodate this request

Please Help.

Madhavi Guddeti

Like Carl Green likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events