How to calculate estimated time vs logged on custom subtasks

Kurt Chambers September 4, 2019

I am looking to see if there is a way to get the time spent vs time estimated on custom subtasks. Currently we use SP's for the story and hours for the subtasks. We have a custom subtask type for the testing portion of the subtasks.

What I am looking for is to see... for the testing subtasks only... How our estimates compare to the actual time logged. It seems trivial since all the data points are there, but I don't see a way. 

We are using Jira cloud so I'm sure that will limit my options. If anyone knows a way or even an add-on that could do it, I would appreciate the feedback.

2 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2019

Hello Kurt,

Thank you for your answer.

I understand that you want to see a list of Stories of a given time period together with the estimated time and actual time logged/remaining.

If that's what you want, you can:

1 - Create a filter with the issues you want and export it to CSV (As you mentioned), creating the report with any details you want in a spreadsheet

2 - Create a filter and use the Filter Results gadget in your dashboard to return the issues and the fields you want.

Let me know if these options work for you.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2019

Hello Kurt,

Thank you for reaching out.

Basically, the time tracking configured for any issues (Including sub-tasks) has three fields:

1 - Original Estimate: This is the initial estimation you have selected for a specific issue.

2 - Time Spent: This is the time you have effectively worked on the issue until now.

3 - Remaining Estimate: This is the current time difference between the Original Estimate and the Time Spent field (Original Estimate - Time Spent)

That being said, I believe that the Time tracking fields display the exact information you are asking for in this statement:

What I am looking for is to see... for the testing subtasks only... How our estimates compare to the actual time logged.

Providing you a practical example of the scenario I described, you can check in the screenshot below that the issue was initially estimated as one day and two hours to get completed. Once two hours were logged, the remaining time is one day:

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 17.36.50.png

For more information on how the Time tracking works, check the documentation below:

Configuring time tracking

P.S: To get the time tracking to display only for the specific Sub-task issue you have, you can either change the time tracking field context to only be applicable to that sub-task or simply set a different screen scheme for the sub-tasks.

Let me know if this information helps.

Kurt Chambers September 5, 2019

Thanks Petter. I see the data in real time as you have shown, but I am looking for it to show up in a report. The report would be for subtasks that are a custom type called "testing"... and would show estimated time vs. actual by story over a time period. I suppose I could create a view and then export it, but hoping there is an easier way. 

Suggest an answer