How to bulk change customer request type field value?

Enkhtaivan Ganbat April 23, 2018

Greetings,

We used to have 6-7 customer request types, but we decided only 4 of them are actually useful and deleted the rest, now about 25% of all our 2200+ issues doesn't have any value in the "customer request type" field, I tried to change those by bulk change but there is no choice like: "Change customer request type". Is there any other way?

4 answers

2 votes
kartik Annavajhula March 28, 2019

Remove Sub-tasks and add Customer request type on to the edit screen

João Simas February 18, 2020

I have exactly the same issue.

I have already search issues of a single project (without subtasks) however the options in Change Customer Request Type are grey out. I cannot click to select them but if I write down the name of the Service Desk Request Type and try to bulk update I get the error message:

Invalid customer request value

Extra info:

The issue query:

project = GSDUS AND issuetype = "HW Issue"

I can update the request type inside each issue on the right bottom corner in the section "Service Desk Request".

However to do it for each ticket individually is not feasible (over 10k issues) 

What other alternative I may have?

Brf Tattby June 9, 2020

this issue is still a problem as of June 9th 2020 for me as well. Anybody who has a solution?

John Gallucci August 18, 2020

Unfortunately the Customer Request Type field is one of those things Atlassian should have never invented. It is neither a true custom field as it is considered a locked/proprietary custom field nor is it part of the Global Issue Type (Issue Type, Priorities, etc.) which is probably the type of field it should have been in the first place. Because of these design issues Customer Request Types just do not behave the same when you try to do operations like Bulk move/edit where those process workflows know how to match an Issue Type or Normal Custom Field.

Right now I am having a different problem trying to move an issue from Project A to Project B, both of which have identical Customer Request Types, but the Bulk Move operator cannot detect the matching type in the field and requires manual intervention.

The only way I've been able to truly work around this limitation is to export to CSV make the necessary modification and import CSV (the global one which allows Issue Key import)

Like Mike Hayes likes this
Pouján (Jiralísta) June 2, 2021

If you add Customer Request Type to the Edit Sceen, then you see it in the list when bulk editing. :) Cheers

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2021

@Pouján (Jiralísta) Adding the Customer Request Type to the Edit Screen did the trick with bulk editing later on! Thanks!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4905 is not relevant, as your suggestion works.

Atticus Bikos March 2, 2022

@Pouján (Jiralísta) this did not work for me. Is this only available for Cloud? I am on Server. I still get the message "

Holds information about which Service Desk was used to create a ticket. This custom field is created programmatically and must not be modified.

"

And all of the customer request type options are greyed out.

Pouján (Jiralísta) March 4, 2022

Hi @Atticus Bikos , yeah I tried it on Cloud. Sorry to hear that it's not possible on on-premise :( 

2 votes
Miguel Sousa August 30, 2018

Hey,

Not sure if you still need this.

I faced this issue this morning and after trying a filter to bulk change over 200 issues. I noticed afterwards that the filter was giving me results to issues spanning across 2 projects. I could not find that field in the list of fields to bulk change. 

On my cloud instance I have the possibility to change the "Customer Request Type" if I'm bulk changing issues from the same project.image.png

If I try to bulk change a list of issues, that span through different projects. Then, the above field is not available in the list of fields to bulk edit. I believe this is related to one of the projects being an internal one and not having that field available to use at all.

Akash March 12, 2023

This works only for Cloud? Does it work for On Prem?

Best,
Akash

0 votes
Hayden Chudy November 18, 2021

Another thing to look for: are you trying to bulk edit multiple issue types? You can only change the request type if you're editing one issue type in bulk.

0 votes
Gabriel Senna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2018

Hi Enkhaivan,

I tested from my end and the option to change the issue type is available for bulk operation.

Can you give it another try and send us an screenshot of the screen of bulk change?

This way, I can check what you are seeing when trying to change the type.

Enkhtaivan Ganbat April 25, 2018

Hi Gabriel,

I need to change the "Customer request type" not the "Issue type" , these 2 are related but different fields, as far as I know.

Like Luanna Gobbato likes this

Suggest an answer