How to bulk change Assignee or bulk change Reporter to another user?

Lohan Roberto March 16, 2012

How to bulk change Assignee or bulk change Reporter to another user?

I have a user that is no longer active within my projects and need to move all the tickets that were created by user and assigned to the user to another user. But i need to do this in bulk for the sheer number of tickes. Doing this ticket by ticket is not at all fisible.

How can i move reasigh this tickets to another user in buck?

I need the Assignee & Reporter changed, and i would really like not to delete the tickets but i would like to delete the user.

6 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2012
Lohan Roberto March 16, 2012

Thank you.

How come i keep getting this on the options?

"

N/A Edit Issues
NOTE: You do not have permission to edit the selected 622 issues or at least one issue has a status that forbids editing.

"

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2012

Maybe some of the issues that you are going to edit are in closed status and it is not allowing the edit operation? Also check weather you have permission to do bulk changes.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

Like Sarafraz Johl likes this
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2012

To extend Jobin's answer. In case you still need to change the Assignee/Reporter of closed issues also, you could add a new transistion step in the workflow for your issuetypes that sets the value of "jira.issue.editable" to "true" while retaining the status as Closed itself. Do a bulk operation first for all Closed issues to clear this and then do a bulk operation for all the issues to change the Assignee/Reporter.

If this is one time activity, you could have an additional transistion to set back the "jira.issue.editable" back to "false".

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allow+editing+of+Closed+Issues

Meg August 7, 2019
Like # people like this
3 votes
Marty Sixkiller October 1, 2014

+1. As a JIRA global administrator, I'd like to be able to edit ANY field, regardless of the issue status.

2 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2013
Can you not add "and status != closed" to the search filter before running bulk edit? That way you'd only change non-closed issues and leave closed issues alone for historical reasons.
1 vote
Daan Kets December 1, 2014

Easiest way to do this is just using SQL in the database wink

1 vote
Gregory Wexler May 23, 2013

I'm with you JMedway - I'd like to see a response from Atlassian on this. Seem's like something fairly common as people move in and out of a company.

yogananda January 31, 2020

Yes, You are right Gregory ..

1 vote
John Medway July 30, 2012

Is there any way to NOT change the reporter or the assignee of closed issues.

We'd like to keep the names as they were, for histoical reasons, albeit move the tickets to a different queue.

yogananda January 31, 2020

It's a Good Idea John Medway and Gregory Wexler,  I am also facing the same issue. Atlassian people should provide a solution for this.

Suggest an answer