How to backup a single project?

Steve M February 9, 2021

Hello,

I am on a mission to clean up our Jira and there are certain projects that have no reason to exist on Jira. I want to delete them to make cleaning up things like schemas and workflows easier. The problem is that I am only able to get consensus on "Archiving" these projects. The stakeholders fell that they might need them in the future (although I highly contest this).

When I go to delete a project Jira asks if I want to back it up, however this backs up the whole of Jira and not the specific project. I would like to avoid backing up all of Jira (this is already done by the IT team) for simplicity if I need to get access to the project again. 

How do I back up a single project, this way I can delete these projects and I can get them back for the stake holders should they ever feel the need.

Thank you 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

Deleting a project is final. You can only back up Jira as a whole thing, not project by project

So archive the projects. In Jira this means that the project isn't shown to users again and all the issues in the projects don't get indexed, so they are not searchable.

Steve M February 10, 2021

Thanks for the help. Archiving in Jira's context is not helpful as the underlying schemas will remain and still require cleaning up.

Given that the projects are small I have decided that exporting all issues to Excel and saving attachments might be the next best thing.

Suggest an answer