How to automate an Issue Status from 'Solution Suggested' to 'Open' when approval is denied?

elijahmolloy March 19, 2018

Hey, guys. I apologize if this is a simple question, but I am struggling with this.

I am attempting to automatically assign an issue's status from 'Solution Suggested' to 'Open' if the suggested solution is denied. Currently, when the suggested solution is approved or denied, the status of the issue remains at "Solution Suggested" by default. I am curious how to automatically update the status back to "Open" should the solution transition be "Rejected." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The workflow is the out-of-the-box Support Desk workflow titled "Jira Service Desk Workflow." 

1 answer

1 vote
mschonarthatlassian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2018

Hello, Elijah

If I understood your question correctly, you want to transition from the “Solution Suggested” status back to the “Open” status.

I’d recommend adding a new transition to your workflow. That way, the person who is reviewing the solution would click on the “Reject” button and the status would change to “Open”.

To add a new transition, go to Settings> Issues> Workflows then click on Edit in the workflow used for that project. After that, click on Add Transition, select the statuses and the name for the new transition. Click on Publish Draft for the changes to be applied. Be aware that if that workflow is shared among multiple projects, all of them will be changed.
I’d suggest checking out our documentation on Working with Workflows.

I hope this was helpful to you. Please, be sure to contact us again if you have further questions.

Cheers!

mschonarthatlassian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2018

After creating the new transition mentioned on the comment above, you should set up a new Approval on the 'Solution Suggested' status.

To do this, in the edit screen for the workflow you want to change, click on the 'Solution Suggested' status and then select Add approval. Be aware that to add an approval to a workflow you need to have the Jira administrator global permission.

You’ll then be asked to select from which custom field you’ll get the approvers from. The default option is the Approvers custom field, which would let the person creating the ticket select the users. You can change this depending on your project’s needs. 

You’ll then select the transition used for when the solution is approved and declined. For when the solution is declined, you ought to select the new transition added that will change the status back to 'Open'.

If there's already an Approval set up you have to configure it by clicking on the status with the approval and then select Configure. That way you can select the new transition for when the solution is Declined. Please check our Setting up approvals documentation for further information on this topic.

Be sure to get back at us if you have further questions.
Cheers!

Elijah Molloy March 22, 2018

Matheus,

Thank you for the quick reply. Thanks to your response, I was able to get everything up and running properly :)

I appreciate your help.

Elijah 

Suggest an answer