How to auto-populate "Component/s" field with "User Variables" in Templates

Will Ferry June 23, 2022

Hello,

I just started work with my company this week and have very basic experience with Jira.

I have been given the task of creating templates for different functions in our group. 

I have installed the "Issue Templates" plug-in installed and can see how to autopopulate certain fields in new issues with "User Variables" and by selecting the template I created. 

The one thing I can't figure out is how to auto-poulate "Component/s" with the same user-variables when a new issue is created.

Can someone tell me how to do this? It looks like this is not a standard option.

1 answer

0 votes
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

@Will Ferry Hope all is well and welcome to Atlassian community. I hope you can find all the help you need here. 

Here is a youtube link to help with the issue you are facing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4mANCtreBE

It looks like you will need the component to be on the issue screen you are wanting to have the field available to. Typically components are project by project. So you would have to state those. There is another add-on app that allows you to push sets of component in a templated format to other projects. I am sure this app can do this also as it show in the video how to add fields to the screens etc.

Typically if you set up components per project you can also add the component lead and set that as the default assignee by setting the component lead user drop down and then setting the next drop down to component lead.

image.png

I hope this information helps you and let us know the outcome. 

Will Ferry June 24, 2022

Hi Aaron. Thanks for the reply - and for responding so quickly.

In our groups, components are currently added manually after the issue is created. What I'm told we use for components are Project Name and Group Name. Components are used by other groups outside our own to filter and sort the activities our group is working on and I'm told it will be difficult to change this, since there are so many people involved.

What I'd like to do is have two user-defined variables on the template (ProjectName and GroupName) and then have these added as components when a new issue is created and the template is selected.

I can do this with labels but it seems that I can't do the same thing with Components.

It always shows up as "None" in the create issue dialogue box and the template create issue dialogue box. 

Someone in our group told me it would be possible with ScriptRunner plug-in. Is this the one your are referring to?

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2022

@Will Ferry It is possible with script runner but it is also possible I believe with another add-on which is for replicating components from project to project in a templated format. 

Octo-component 
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221419/octo-component-versions-subcomponents-and-sync-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

I would review scriptrunner and this Octo to see which might work better for you. Scriptrunner is a little bit to learn as its groovy scripting. But its very powerful.

Hope this helps answer your questions. 

Will Ferry June 27, 2022

Okay thanks a lot. I'll check out Octo!

Suggest an answer