How to auto assign the first assignee to the field ticket owner?

Chen Lingling January 12, 2021

We wish to make this automatically when we assigning the a ticket to the first person, he/she should be the ticket owner to make sure their tickets are updated. Any thought that we can make it happen in Jira setting? Many thanks!

5 answers

0 votes
Carlos Viscarra March 24, 2022

Hello. I was able to use Automation set the read-only custom field to the system Assignee but the problem is it populated the read-only custom field with a user-id number. 

Does anybody know how to force the automation to use the Assignee NAME instead of the Assignee user id?

jira read only automation.pngjira assignee number.png

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Chen Lingling 

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Your requirement could be understood in a way that you want to update a custom field named "Ticket Owner". This could be done using Automation.

The idea could be:

- when an issue is created:

- assign the issue to the current user AND

- copy the value of the field "assignee" to the Custom Field "Ticket Owner".

This person is then in charge of keeping track of the issue's progress until resolution.

Please update us if this worked or if something was understood wrong.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

@Chen Lingling , I don’t understand what you mean by “first assignee”. When you set the Assignee for an issue that individual owns the issue. If you wish to automate the assignment could you indicate what the assignment should be based upon?

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2021

i found this from another user comment.

image.pngfor other conditions as "First assignee" ,

you you may need to check in automation for Jira documentation.

0 votes
Jon Watts January 12, 2021

Hi @Chen Lingling 

I'd suggest checking out JIRA Automation as a starting point

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

Best wishes
Jon

Suggest an answer