How to authenticate with Jira REST API using VBA, but not basic authentication

Nicholas Hall June 2, 2022

I have read this article: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-authenticate-to-Jira-REST-API/qaq-p/814987

Also able complete basic authentication login on a standard Jira server that requires Email Address and API token. 

Our Jira server requires Okta verify to confirm login, so the same code (using a appropriate email address and a different API token generated, while logged on to our Jira site) does not work.

Any suggestions on the way to proceed?

1 answer

0 votes
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2022

@Nicholas Hall 

You will have to speak to your Jira Admins / Sys Admins and request that the URLs related the REST API are exempt from requiring 2FA via OKTA.

Nicholas Hall June 3, 2022

@David Bakkers Thank you, is this the only solution, then I don't see I will get it to work.

I did some more investigation, if I submit it directly as a curl request instead of VBA it logs me in and provides data, which adds further to my confusion.

David Semmens September 4, 2023

@Nicholas Hall did you find a suitable answer? We are moving our Jira over to OKTA now and I need to move the finance  reporting over.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events