How to authenticate to Jira REST API

I am using Jenkinsfile to update the Build result to one of the field using Curl command. 
Am using HTTP Basic auth. But, I need another method to authenticate to Jira Rest API other than Basic as it is very easy to Decode using base64.
Suggest me a method to authenticate to Jira server using curl command?

The curl command that I use is 

sh """curl  --noproxy '*' -D- -H "Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46YWRtaW4=" -X PUT --data '{"fields":{"customfield_10314":{"value":"Development Completed"}}}' -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://localhost:8081/jira/rest/api/2/issue/${issue}"""

1 answer

@Saranya UnnikumarI propose the

OAuth is an authentication protocol that allows a user (resource owner) to grant a third-party application (consumer/client) access to their information on another site (resource). JIRA uses 3-legged OAuth (3LO), which means that the user is involved in the authentication process by authorizing access to  your Jira data.

1. You need to configure application links (in coming) , that is third party application with your jira instance, see good article https://www.prodpad.com/blog/tech-tutorial-oauth-in-jira/ on how to configure application link for third party.

Also see how to generate public and private key,

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-generate-public-key-to-application-link-3rd-party-applications-913214098.html

2. You will need to generate Access token, (doing the OAuth dance) I suggest you use Python code to generate it , easier. https://bitbucket.org/atlassian_tutorial/atlassian-oauth-examples/src/3f0d22c5b1d8749fae6f05aa3556ca8ac3724b5a/python/?at=default

Once you are able to generate this access token if you succeed it will display a link to ( log in as this user Admin for example which you want to use to access Jira data,(tickets in Jira for example) then approve access to Jira using this user.

3. Then you can use this user in you external application(code to access Jira, by adding private key parameter in python code for instance that accesses Jira data in  your Jira instance)

Best.

The method in the example requires a PEM key to the server. If I got a permanent access token from Jira how can that be used? I basically want to do what rest-oauth-client-1.0.one-jar.jar does but using python

@Don DewarSee point 2 & 3 you have your answer there.

Don Dewar I'm New Here Dec 31, 2018

Thanks. I finally did figure that out but now get this traceback.

./app2.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./app2.py", line 11, in <module>
    r = s.get("https://********/jira/rest/api/2/issue/*****-4313")
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 521, in get
    return self.request('GET', url, **kwargs)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 508, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 618, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 440, in send
    timeout=timeout
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 601, in urlopen
    chunked=chunked)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 346, in _make_request
    self._validate_conn(conn)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 850, in _validate_conn
    conn.connect()
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 337, in connect
    cert = self.sock.getpeercert()
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 348, in getpeercert
    'subjectAltName': get_subj_alt_name(x509)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 222, in get_subj_alt_name
    for name in ext.get_values_for_type(x509.DNSName)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 175, in _dnsname_to_stdlib
    name = idna_encode(name)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 173, in idna_encode
    return idna.encode(name)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/idna/core.py", line 355, in encode
    result.append(alabel(label))
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/idna/core.py", line 265, in alabel
    raise IDNAError('The label {0} is not a valid A-label'.format(label))
idna.core.IDNAError: The label Bundle_***** is not a valid A-label

which appears to be a correct error given the IDNA name has an underscore in it. (note company specific names are obscured in the traceback with asterisks). I haven't been able to find a work around for this, but that is a python community issue rather than Jira.

@Don DewarI suspect that some  library is missing for  me it worked for me using  the code  which  i have provided  in the  link  above.  I suggest  you  install pycharm  and then run your code  with   pycharm  will  show you message on  what  is missing.  Then  once you  have run  the code  go  to  >settings  > project interpreter and then  click (+ )  button to  add missing  packages.

But  make  sure you  are doing the right thing,  following  the documentation  .

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Mar 14, 2019 in Jira

Updates to jira.atlassian.com give you visibility into what's coming in Jira Server and Data Center

Hello, Community! My name is Gosia and I'm a Product Manager on Jira Server and Data Center here at Atlassian. Since 2002 when we launched our public issue tracker, jira.atlass...

629 views 1 15
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you