Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to assign subtask to parent tasks's assignee?

We are working in a next-gen project and I'd like to setup some simple rules around subtasks that are created within a task. As a test case, I am trying to make a rule to assign any subtask that is created to the parent task assignee.

My rules are as follows:

• When: Issue is Created
  • If: Assignee is empty
  • If: Parent Exists
  • Then: Assign issue to copy from parent

To test, I created an issue and it assigned to myself. Then when I create subtasks in that issue I see that my rule runs for the subtasks, but fails on the second conditional. Is there a better way to accomplish this or am I just misunderstanding something about the parent <> subtask relationship? Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Eli,

To Automatically assign the sub-task to the parent issues assignee you will need an add-on to handle the logic. 

A few options for this:

You could look into  JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions as discussed in This post:

There is Power Scripts™ - Jira script automation as discussed here:

Or you could also look into Automation for JIRA as discussed in this post:

Regards,
Earl

Hi Earl,

I came across this thread in April 2021 and I'm wondering if an add-on is still required or if there's now a way to link the subtask default assignment to match the parent assignment. 

I know Atlassian has been working hard on the next-gen (team-managed) projects.

Hello @rickgladwin ,

Thanks for reaching out, and good call out.  The Automation for Jira Add-on is now fully integrated into the Jira cloud platform by default so it no longer requires setting up as a separate add-on app and is available in all instances.

Additional details on the functionality can be found in the documentation space here:

and we have a collection of automation rule examples that you can interact with under the Automation Playground here:

As for an automation rule to assign the subtask to the same user as the parent issue when a subtask is created, you can use the following:

• When:
    • Issue Created
  • IF: Issue matches JQL
    • type in subTaskIssueTypes()
  • Then: Edit issue fields
    • Assignee
      • Copy From Parent

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 3.48.37 PM.png

There are also some additional recommendations for syncing the parent and sub-task in the following blog post:

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you