How to Assign the same assignee to subtask as parent task

Piotr Koczorowski April 4, 2017

I figured this would be a rather simple option, but after fervent googling I couldn't find a good answer.

I have a script that automatically creates Parent tasks and then sub-tasks for that Parent. Imagine the Parent task is a Book and the sub-tasks are its Chapters. 

Usually, in my workflow, the users assign themselves to the Parent and then they start working on the sub-tasks since they are the only things that matter - the Parent task is just used for navigation.

However, I'd like the sub-tasks to be assigned to that user the same moment he or she assigns themselves to the Parent. So, they assign themselves to the Parent and the sub-tasks are also automatically assigned as well.

Do you think there is such a possibility? Thanks!

Note: I cannot use any plugins such as Automation for JIRA

1 answer

0 votes
Matt Shelton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2017

Hi Piotr,

If you're unable to use any plugins at all, I'm afraid your options are severely limited. Out of the box, you can set the assignee as the "Current User" when the user executes a workflow transition (e.g. "Start Progress" on the sub-task). There is not a built-in post-function to set values on linked issues like sub-tasks.

If you are able to look at plugins, this functionality exists in the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions plugin (as one example).

Suggest an answer