How to assign Workflow Schemes to projects??

Chi Nguyen June 2, 2015

I have create Workflow but I don't know how to add projects to workflow Schemes (Assigned Schemes).

Anyone know and help me??

Here is a video I took: http://screencast.com/t/yZVaafBqi

Thanks

Chi

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2015
Hi @Chi Nguyen
  • Create a Workflow Scheme.
  • Assign Workflows with respective Issue Types which uses that Workflow under Workflow Scheme.
  • Select the Project you want to tie this Workflow Scheme.
  • Go to Project Administration Screen of the Project Selected, Click on Workflow Tab, Switch Scheme to select the desired workflow scheme, associate it and that fixes it.

Regards

Chander Inguva

Chi Nguyen June 4, 2015

Yes, I did it ok now. Thanks @Chander Inguva

Tom Andries August 26, 2018

The screens your mention are completely impossible to find for me. On project settings, I only have name, key and access. and the possibility to delete the project.

No workflow tab available, and even not when creating a project : I can select form a number of templates (Scrum, Kanban, ....) but I cannot select my workflow.

When defining a workflow scheme, I see no way at assign that scheme to a project ...

Totally lost, it seems I can only do pretty standard stuff. I find the interface for setting up such customisations in JIRA far from intuitive ..

Like mh b likes this
Šimon Podlipský September 6, 2018

Jira reworked UI and ignored to update the documentation. The screen is either 1) hidden and there's no button for it 2) removed

Not sure what to think about it...

deayrs September 12, 2018

@Tom - That is also our experience. 

polfg September 13, 2018

Same here, I can't assign a workflow to my projects and the documentation with the new and imposed UI are not updated, so there is no way to do it following the documentation.

If at least I could work with the old UI...

James Campbell September 22, 2018

@polfg Did you ever figure out how to do this? Going through the same problem now.

Gitlab User September 22, 2018

Just create a project with standard type, not those fancy undocumented agile types

polfg September 25, 2018

@James Campbell No, sorry... I'm trying to work with server now and solve everything.

@Gitlab User I just want a simple kanban with my own workflow adding an in-review state. Your solution is "don't use what you are paying for". That would never be a solution at all.

Kat Lim October 12, 2018

There is no option to create a classic project for me. It seems the very first user as jira admin was able to do ONLY the first project. Now he neither can.

Atlassian!!!!

Francisco Yago November 8, 2018

Thanks, it works!

Jing_Gu March 6, 2019

Chander, 

I am new to Jira.

I have created the workflow, but on the Project tab, I could not find the Workflow button as you suggested. 

I am a site administrator for my project page.

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 10.10.26 PM.png

Do you have any advice on how to fix that?

Jing

Like Michael Nieminen likes this
deayrs April 17, 2019

New UI. Previous expectations on how workflow are 'supposes' to work. My bad

1 vote
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2015

Hey, 

don't get me wrong but have you ever had a look a the documentation?

This will get you started creating a workflow:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

Then you create a workflow scheme and associate workflows (activate them) with that scheme:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRACLOUD/Activating+workflow

Here you'll find more info on schemes:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+workflow+schemes

Hope that help,

Christian

Chi Nguyen June 4, 2015

yes, I did it ok yesterday as many time to find out on document but it works ok now. Thanks for you help. Do you have Skype too? Regards, Chi

John Morse December 28, 2016

The documentation is scattered everywhere and usually not helpful. Something as simple as changing a Workflow, Screen or Permission Scheme can be quite challenging.

Don't get me wrong, Jira is a great product once configured, but the documentation and support are pitiful at best!

Balint Nagy September 28, 2018

Those links are all OK, but none of them answers the original question: once you have created a Workflow, assigned it to a Workflow Scheme, how do you assign the workflow scheme to a project?

I have quite a lot of experience with the old Jira UI, fully understand the concepts, but simply can't find the way to do this.

Like # people like this
louis tag July 31, 2019

i have the same problem

Alexa Ferencz April 20, 2020

OK, this is so very stupid that I have overslipped at least 3x of the correct answer. It is indeed here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-your-workflows-776636587.html

Once you've already created your inactive workflow (that you can view under Projects - Workflows (inactive workflows are hid in a section under active ones)), go to Issues - Workflows

Select the workflow scheme that you want to associate the new workflow with and click Edit. 

Here click the Add workflow button, select Add exisiting, and you will see all the inactive workflows listed there. Select it, assign all issue types you want to to this workflow. Then you can publish the draft workflow. 

For publishing you need to map the old statuses to the new ones to ensure that no issue is left out. Once you are done with this, click Associate at the bottom of the page. It will then migrate all issues to the new workflow. 

0 votes
lcnogueira March 24, 2020

I am facing the same problem and couldn't figure out a solution to this. Did anyone get a solution?

0 votes
Paul F. Wood April 27, 2018

This page is fundamentally misleading and out of date although I eventually found the answer in Settings -> Workflows -> Switch Scheme:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/working-with-workflows-776636540.html

It is this section:

To finish activating your workflow, associate the workflow scheme it's in with a project (if an issue type is not defined in the project's issue type scheme, that specific workflow is not used):

1. In the sidebar, click Issue type schemes. You'll see which workflow scheme the project currently uses.

2. Click Associate to begin the migration process. Each issue needs to have a valid status, so you may need to assign statuses to a select number of issues after you switch workflow schemes.

Jing_Gu March 6, 2019

Paul, 

I am new to Jira.

We have created the workflow scheme. But there is no workflow button under Project.

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 10.10.26 PM.png

I am the site admin. Do you know what might have caused the problem?

Thanks a lot

Jing

Like louis tag likes this
louis tag July 31, 2019

i have the same problem and cannot fix it

Mendy Ezagui August 21, 2019

Nope.

1) Workflows missing from the Project Settings

2) Tried a new Workflow and adding a project to it but WHERE IS THAT FUNCTIONALITY? WHERE IN THE WORLD?

Suggest an answer