How to allow group management but not user management

Paul Shrimpton April 28, 2016

Hi All,

I've recently merged two JIRA instances, and have a problem with users not having the access that they used to. One of the instances was fairly lax with regard to allowing admins, and some of the development team leads have become used to managing groups and users. Now that we have the single instance, admin rights are being locked down to prevent people creating users on the fly, which would have an impact on our licensing costs. However, I would like them to still be able to create groups and assign users to those groups, if possible. They used this for managing permissions at a group level rather than at a project level, swapping group members in and out as needed.

Can someone offer a solution that allows me to let certain people have GROUP management rights but not USER management rights?

2 answers

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2016

None. Both of those features are controlled by the Global Permission "JIRA Administrators".

What will I advise is to you is educate your current JIRA Admins. There's direct way to deal with this, restricting them on something they need to do is one step backward for me. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2016

I suggest managing permissions and access with Roles. Each project manager can manage the role membership in their project. I normally have only 1 or 2 permission schemes as most projects need the same access for the same role in the project. If you don't use a role in a project it doesn't matter what the permission scheme allows for the role.

Suggest an answer