How to add an external user to only one project so that they won't be able to view any other project

Manju Echoapps360 December 1, 2021

I need to add an external user (from a different company) to one of my project. This person should not view any of my other projects. But when I add this user, they can view all of my projects. 

I was able to do restrict users in confluence, but JIRA feels so complicated. 

I know it has to do with permission schemes, roles and groups, but I can't seem to figure it out!

Can someone please help me to sort this out?

1 answer

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Hi @Manju Echoapps360 

Welcome to community!

Please have a look at the permission schemes of the projects to which the user is able to access (undesired). The browse permission might be available to 'Any logged in user' or group jira-software-users or any other groups or application access that opens up the project to a wider audience. 

You will have restrict the access of those projects to a group/role where this external user is not part of to make this user not access it. Unfortunately, it doesnt have configuration just to deny access to a user.

Manju Echoapps360 December 2, 2021

Hi Thanks for getting back to me.

I understand that browse permission might be available to 'Any logged in user' and it's the reason why they can see all the other projects.

But I don't know how to give the external only access to their project!

I created a new user and added them to a new group. Then I removed them from the default JIRA group.

Now I don't know how to go forward from here.

Why is int there a straightforward answer in documentation? Because they have a step-by-step process for Confluence when it comes to users having access to a single space.

Kindly help.

Thanks,

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events