How to add an external hyperlink to an automation email that is not for an issue

Anna Shelby September 17, 2020

I am trying to add a hyperlink to an automated email to direct our users to some outside documentation on how to submit a request, but I can only find documentation on how to put in links for issues. Does anyone know if you can put external hyperlinks in the automation emails of JSD cloud? 

2 answers

2 votes
Matt S July 19, 2021

Bit of an ancient post, but if I found this one while searching, someone else might.

My use case here is adding a formatted external URL to automation that updates the description of an issue. Adding the following enables that:

[link display text|link url]

Paiton Swaim February 8, 2023

Hi Matt, 

I used the format that you note here but it did not work for me. Something I am missing? 

Matt S February 8, 2023

@Paiton Swaim - Can you attach a screenshot of how you set it up?

EDIT: On second thought, the likely issue here is that my solution worked for Jira Server. We migrated to Cloud in the interim, I'll see how we have it set up now.

Matt S February 8, 2023

Nope, still have it set up in that format in cloud and it is formatting the link display text correctly. For greater specificity, this is configured in a Service Management project and the automation rule it's included in only affects that project. 

Maybe useful to note, this rule is formatting the link in an issue description. That description is then included as a smart value in a subsequent email delivery rule.

Hi @Matt S , 

Thanks for the comments! 

I am using the global automation only applied to a single project and attempting to put a Microsoft Teams meeting hyperlink in an email that is sent out upon submission of a ticket. The formatting doesn't seem to work for that set up. 

Can you explain more what you're doing with the formatting of the link in an issue description and then using that in the email rule?

Matt S February 8, 2023

Sure. The rule in question creates a spinoff issue when certain conditions are met. In the Edit Issue step below, I use the [Link Title|Link URL] format to add it to that issue description.

JiraAutomationDescUpdate.pngT

The send email rule checks for new issues of the type created by the above rule, then sends an email with the {{issue.description}} smart value in the body. I can't include a screenshot of that since it contains sensitive information, but it consists of the rule trigger Issue Created, a condition checking for issues of that type, and a Send Email action.

Paiton Swaim February 10, 2023

Ahh I see. Interesting that it would work when saving it first to the issue description. Thank you for the help! I am going to play around with a few ways to accomplish this. I appreciate it!

Hi again! 

Wanted to update this string that when I changed it from being an email being sent to a comment being placed on the ticket the format [Link Title|Link URL] worked. 

So it seems like that format is a limitation of the send email action in automations. It worked perfectly as an Add Comment action in the automation. 

Success!

Thanks for the help, 

Paiton Swaim

Matt S February 10, 2023

Great! Glad to hear it helped!

Like Paiton Swaim likes this
1 vote
Aidan Matheson November 17, 2020

I'm also interested in a feature like this if it exists. I'm trying to create a link in one of the automated customer notifications utilizing a hyperlink so I can hide the link text and replace it with a string. While searching for this issue I found this other post that was more specifically targeted for Jira automations so it may work for you: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-create-a-hyperlink-in-JIRA-Automations-for-Cloud/qaq-p/1318623

Anna Shelby November 17, 2020

Thanks for the article - I have seen this one too! I have created a custom automation so that once we create the email signature (we get a link to share with our employees) I can copy and paste that link into a hidden field on my form and it triggers the automation to send the email to the reporter of the request and then transition it to resolved. The email includes the link to the signature, but also a resource link to our confluence page so that they can access the documentation on how to set up their signatures in different products. The only issue is I can't use markup to format the email like you can in other spaces of Jira Service Desk, so I've tried a ton of combinations to get it to work, but none do so it's just these ugly links in this email which is at this point truly just cosmetic, but I'd prefer it to look a bit more business professional - I just can't find anything on the forums for how to do this. 

Like # people like this
dave symonds February 12, 2022

Yes I have the same issue - the [ | ] combo doesnt seem to work in an automation generated email

ivan.sanchez June 15, 2022

Same here

Following since I have the same issue as well. 

See above string on this for how I was able to get this to work. Switching to a comment (which notifies the reporter) worked instead of an email send action. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events