How to Remove Site & Org Admin?

Sander Kooijman September 22, 2021

We had a guy who set up the environment. He left us. On good terms. No issues there. He is designated as "org and site admin". I am a site admin. I want to revoke his rights. System tells me that I cannot do so because he has higher ranking (org admin). I cannot upgrade myself to site admin.

The email account associated with the guy's (org and site admin) account has been deactivated. So he cannot login to change. 

How to solve? Do I need to reactivate the email address and reset pw? Then grant my other account org admin status and revoke org admin rights for the revived account?

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2021

Hi @Sander Kooijman 

You need to Reactivate the User's Email Address to log in with his credentials and Make Other User as Org Admin.

Please check with Atlassian Support as well to make another user as Org Admin, if you don't have the first option.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Sander Kooijman September 22, 2021

Thank you for the prompt response Pramodh! I will check whether I can reactivate. If not, how can I reach out to support? The support flow itself led to this community. Guess I need to create a ticket somewhere?

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2021

You need login into your Atlassian account to raise an issue

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Navodha Wickramahewa September 22, 2021

Ok, I am in as the site & org admin (believe this response will be in his name). But I still am clueless as to how I downgrade Nav and upgrade Sander. Via manage "User Management" and "Users" I don't see how I can do it. I am unable to remove Nav.

Many thanks for your kind assistance!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2021

Hi @Navodha Wickramahewa!

I wrote a how to guide on this topic that includes a video walkthrough of adding a new org admin and removing another, which you can check out here:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/How-To-Guide-Replacing-an-Organization-Administrator-in-an/ba-p/1732397

Navodha Wickramahewa September 22, 2021

Works - Many thanks!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders