How to Import Internal Comments?

Christopher Rios June 20, 2019

Hello Everyone,

I have migrated a project from Cloud to a Jira Instance. However, it looks like the comments that were originally internal are now public.

I tried importing a CSV file of the issues into the project but internal comments are still becoming public.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of situation?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2019

Hello,

If you import issues by a csv file, then internal comments will become public. You need to use Jira Rest API to make comments internal:

curl -u user:apikey -H "Content-Type:application/json" -d '{"visibility":{"type":"role","value":"Service Desk Team"},"body":{"type":"doc","version":1, "content":[{"type":"paragraph","content":[{"text":"This request was closed.","type":"text"}]}]}}' -X PUT https://url.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/1943/comment/217

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2019

This rest api is for Cloud. For server it would be like this:

curl -u user:password -H "Content-Type:application/json" -d '{"visibility":{"type":"role","value":"Service Desk Team"},"body":"This request was closed."}' -X PUT https://url.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/1943/comment/217

Christopher Rios June 21, 2019

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for your response. Is this also the method I should use when migrating projections using the project import tool?

Thanks!

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2019

by project import do you mean System->Import project? If so, then I doubt it will work at all.

Christopher Rios June 21, 2019

Yes, I have also use this method to import issues. However, internal comments also become public with this method.

0 votes
K_ Yamamoto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2022

This isn't actually possible by default, and we're tracking a suggestion to have this implemented through: JRACLOUD-64464.

As this feature is not yet implemented, I'd advise you to add yourself as a watcher to it to receive any updates and add any comments you think are necessary and/or important to the feature request. I've also added a private comment linking this case to the feature request for our dev's review.

In addition, more information about how Atlassian implements New Features can be found in Implementation of New Features Policy.

Suggest an answer