How to I add an existing story to an Epic without using the Agile board?

I have a project that is not an Agile project.  However, I want to be able to add existing stories to epics.  I can't seem to find a way to do this.  

5 answers

6 votes

Check if you have the "epic link" field in the "edit" screen for the issue - that will let you name the epic you want the story to be part of from standard issue-edit operations.

Setting the "epic link" works not just for an issue's "edit" screen but also from the "create issue" form.

4 votes

Hi,

I can work out how to do this if I select 'old view' in the top right - then I find the edit button and add an epic. 

But how do I do it in the new view - where's the edit button / add epic there?

I'll also try Ann's suggestion.

Thanks

Liz

Same problem here... it seems new view works different

I was also able to do this by selecting and dragging the Story over to the EPIC on the left, creating that relationship. (JIRA v7.3.8)

I started a new project and I don't have the same controls and can't find the Epics on the left. Is there a way to make them appear?

Hi,

Are you talking about on the Backlog board? If so, EPICS is written on its side on the left hand side under VERSIONS below the search box. If you click on it the Epics list pops out again.

If this isn't what you meant, sorry!

Liz 

Didn't even notice the field there.  Works perfectly.  Thank you.

0 votes

In the new design you can add an existing issue to epic by clicking the "three dots" icon that appears when you hover over an issue "tile" on your board, it will show you additional options, among which you can find "add/change epic".

There are no less than 3 "3-dot" icons in my UI - none of which have the option to "add/change epic"

The first -  is at the backlog level and includes options for the board, or creating a new board

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.09.46.jpg

The second - is at the item level (where I expected to find it) and includes options to add flags, log work, attach checklists, move, clone, etc.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.09.54.jpg

The last - is displayed just below the item summary and only includes the option "Temp"

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.10.10.jpg

I'll fully admit that I'm a Jira noob - I've used other backlog/story management systems and find Jira a little frustrating and non-sensical at times.

1. I found the awesome by selecting the specific story I wanted to attach from the backlog.
  2. Clicking on the story ID to open it own window 
  3. Click on the end button 
  4. Scrolling to the pop-up window down to the "Epic Link" pull down menu
  5. Entering the epic ID

The "Epic Link" is in the side-by-side details view but it's hidden under "show more" and a scroll to the bottom of the page.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.30.02.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.30.09.jpg

I'm all for progressive disclosure or hiding advanced options unless they are needed - but attaching a Story to an Epic seems fundamental.

Like 2 people like this

Hi, 
Here is the "three dot" button you've to click : 
Capture du 2018-10-16 10-28-02.png

It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to do this.  I don't understand why it's not just part of the "Linked Issues" interface. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,943 views 19 22
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you