How to Create Ticket in JIRA SD by sending mail and internal account would created automatically.

Deleted user March 3, 2016

Hi,

We need to do the following things--

Create ticket by sending mail as external user.

After sending the mail the user should notified about the ticket

With his mail id an internal account will be created.

Auto generated mail sent to users mail ID for account password creation.

To do this I am facing several issue which mention below.

1.When a user having mail id xyz@theirdomain.com send a mail to helpdesk@ourdomain.com the service desk Mail Handlers showing "" Cannot create issue due to invalid license: [Sorry, you can't create any issues right now, as you need to have access to a JIRA application to be able to create issues. To gain application access you need to be a member of a group assigned to an application.]''''

2. We cant create ticket from anyone who don't have service desk application access.

However, we have dozens of external staff who need to submit issues via email. We need these external staff to receive a notification that their email has been recieved and logged, be able to receive comments via email and be able to reply via email. All pretty simple stuff.

How can we allow this without using up a huge amount of licences?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

It sounds like a standard email handle is picking these up instead of the Service Desk one.  It's trying to treat the incoming emails as JIRA users instead of SD Customers.

Could you check over https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver031/receiving-requests-by-email-802164772.html and make sure that this is picking up the emails and not your standard JIRA email handler.

Deleted user March 4, 2016

I have checked.. All fields are configured. Still I am getting same issue. Can you please provide me any other solutions??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2016

Check all the mail handlers and make sure only the service desk one is active, and remove the "create user" flag

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your answer....

Basically I am trying to Create Ticket to a specific project by a external user and after creating the ticket an user account will be created in our JIRA User Directory so that he will be notified by mail. I have created the incoming mail handler and TEST this and it is working fine. 

Now when that external user (xyz@gmail.com) send mail to our helpdesk (abc@ourdomain.com), it is received in the particular Mail Box Folder but unable to create ticket and when we check the  incoming mail handler and click on TEST it shows  "" ....Cannot create issue due to invalid license: [Sorry, you can't create any issues right now, as you need to have access to a JIRA application to be able to create issues. To gain application access you need to be a member of a group assigned to an application.]...""

FYI, in the incoming mail handler settings I have selected " Create User " check box instead of providing a " Default Reporter "

Yes, I have checked already, we have two incoming mail handler for two separate project. In the other project I have selected a " Default Reporter " and it is working fine. But in this project I need to follow the previously mention use case.

I am using,

JIRA 7.0.10

Service Desk 3.0.10

and this is service desk project type

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2016

I'm afraid re-posting the same question tells us nothing new.

Please could you read the answer and follow up comments properly, and if you're still stuck, you need to explain what you're doing differently from what we've said above.

Hi Nic,

In your Previous answer what link you provide it covers the email settings and email handler configuration steps and I have checked that everything is fine there. I have checked the mail handler and servicedesk one is active. Still I am getting the same same error. So can you please suggest me any alternate way?

Apart from that I have another question is that do I need to change the directory order? As we are using both LDAP directory and JIRA Internal Directory and LDAP comes first in that order and when an external user send mail he has read only permission. So do I need to change the order to create external user?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2016

No, that's the point, you are still configuring mail for JIRA Core, you have not yet set up the Service Desk one. The error message is clear - it's telling you that it is trying to import emails into Core.

The directory order should not matter.

Hi Nic,

I am not getting you, why you are saying I am configuring mail for JIRA CORE?? I am configuring this for service desk and when I checked catalina.out log it showing the following messages.

"Sender is anonymous, no default reporter specified and creating users is set to false (or external user management is enabled). Message rejected."

"There are no default applications configured, new users are not assigned to any groups therefore they can not create issues. Please visit Application Access page for more information."

But I have set Creating User as True and if I do this in Incoming Mail Handler Settings then there are no space for providing any "Default Reporter"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2016

Because your settings are prompting the system to tell you that your users do not have access because they're not licenced. 

If you were configuring this for Service Desk, then the emails would be handled as new/existing customers, who automatically have access to Service Desk because there's no licence needed for them.

Hi Nic,

I understood what you are saying and after following all the above mentioned steps I am still getting the same message. As I am a beginner in JIRA so it will be great help if you provide me the configuration steps to get the above mentioned use cases.

FYI i am providing you my service desk incoming mail handler properties. 

• Bulk: ignore
  • CC Assignee: true
  • CC Watchers: true
  • Create Users: true
  • Notify Users: true
  • Strip Quotes: false

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events