How does one set the default permissions scheme that is used for new projects?

Priyanka Khare December 20, 2017

In JIRA, the application ships with a "Default Permissions Scheme" already prepared, and it is described as the scheme that is automatically assigned to any new project.

If you remove all projects from this scheme, you are able to delete the scheme. Creating a new scheme afterwards, doesn't give any indication whether its the default. So, now, if you have multiple schemes, and you've deleted the 'default,' it is no longer apparent which scheme is now the default, nor is it apparent how to set the default.

How does one set the default permissions scheme that is used for new projects?

2 answers

3 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

At the moment, there is not a means to set a different permissions scheme to be default in Jira.  There is an existing feature request for this over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-59453

However in my instance, I can't find a way to delete this permission scheme in the web interface.  Even with no projects assigned to this permission scheme, my Jira does not give me the option to delete this permission scheme.

cantdelete.png

So I am curious to learn how exactly you were able to delete this permission scheme in your instance.  Could you let me know if you are using Jira Cloud or Jira Server?   If Jira Server, please let me know what version you are using.   If using Jira Cloud, I would be interested to learn what your Cloud URL is so we can investigate this further.

Regards,
Andy

0 votes
Jessica Mathews September 20, 2019

I still have a default security scheme, but when a new project is created it's using a different security scheme.  The scheme it is using is one that allows restricted users to see the project (so the last scheme I would want as a default). 

Colin Franco January 14, 2020

Hi Jessica. I don't have a solution for this but thought it may be reassuring to know that I have a very similar problem. Somehow, someone has made an alternative scheme the default and it seems impossible to fix this until https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-59453 is implemented.

I surmise that if I deleted all the schemes but one then it would become the default but in my case that requires more effort than I can give it at this time.

Like Sofia Fahle likes this

Suggest an answer