How does Jira calulate Epic %Complete?

Devin Griffin August 26, 2021

Does Jira calculate Epics % complete by stories completed and/or story points complete?

Is there a story %complete? Task done or hours spent?

Use: I want to show Epic completion on a Roadmap where completion is based upon number of stories complete and at the story level have story %complete be based on tasks done.

In short Task Done rolls up to Epic %complete.

3 answers

0 votes
Somesh Sahoo February 14, 2024

Watch my video to know how you can calculate epic progress % using jira automation

https://youtu.be/C6vZR0M1ScQ?feature=shared

0 votes
Brandon Moberg October 21, 2022

Does anyone have a solution to using the % Done value in an Epic in reporting since it doesn't show up as a field? I'd love to be able to utilize this value in reporting from other products (i.e., Confluence) but since it's not a field, it doesn't show up. Any ideas?

Somesh Sahoo April 23, 2024

After calculating percentage through automation you can use the filter gadget and the % info you can select the field in the gadget

0 votes
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

Hello Devin,

The % complete for Epics is based on the number of associated issues on the Epic that have a status category of "Done". For example, if an epic has 1 story and 3 tasks linked to it, then all 4 carry equal weight, and would need to be in a "Done" status category (green status in your Jira workflow) for the Epic to say 100% complete, regardless of the story points/time estimates on each issue). Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 9.30.11 AM.png

I'm not aware of a story % complete, or a similar feature that's native to Jira. Might need a marketplace app.

Hope this helps

Jason Chayer April 3, 2024

@Sam Nadarajan - can you get the information you have above on a dashboard with a native gadget? I am wanting to show all Epics for a project that have the percent complete for each Epic.

Suggest an answer