How do you revert to the old interface?

Benjamin Peikes February 6, 2018

The new interface is an abomination. The color coding of statuses has changed, navigation is a complete mess with the menus changing colors depending on where you are. Back arrow buttons don't always take you back to the previous state. Please tell me there is way to revert.

9 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 6, 2018

Hi @Benjamin Peikes,

for now you can revert the interface by klicking on your profile picture within the lower left corner and then klicking on Turn off for now.

Cheers,
Thorsten

Benjamin Peikes February 6, 2018

How long will that work? The new interface is horrendous.

Like # people like this
Andrew Ukasick March 5, 2018

OMG. This is beyond horrible!!! This is very very disturbing. I have to use jira to do real work. It's such a pain in the ass to use now that instead of getting my work done I'm searching the internet for a way to get the good interface back. This is like Windows 10. Just a lot of worthless bloat smothering what used to be a wonderful highly functional tool. I can't see a single thing that I would consider an improvement. I RARELY post my opinion about anything on the internet, but this is really really upsetting.  I've been Atlassian's biggest fan since 2005. Jira has always gotten better and better. Why suddenly start doing horrible stuff like this!? What is this possibly supposed to be fixing!? Or improving!? It's awful.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2018

There is no way back on Cloud.

Your best bet is to set up your own Server version and migrate (or get a server provider to host for you).  We are all hoping the "new interface" never makes it to server, and we're pretty sure it won't any time soon (the noises I've heard are "no chance before the next US Summit and you're looking at months to year longer than that"). 

Hopefully, by the time it makes it to server, the "new look" will have been either abandoned (because it's crap) or redesigned enough so that it might work.

Radha Chhuttani April 18, 2018

am unable to check turn off switch pls suggest me how can i get old jira version

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

See the comment above yours, it's still true.

Radha Chhuttani April 18, 2018

o i checked cann not able pls help

Marc Sanchez June 7, 2018

@Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_

I don't have a "Turn off for now" option under profile when I follow you instructions above. Is that still true?

Benjamin Peikes June 7, 2018

I don't think you can turn it off now.

Max Bruni February 4, 2020

If you do not have the "Turn off now" option, goto your Profile and turn off the Jira Labs.  This will get you back to the old view. 

Rajeshkumar Gone March 24, 2020

Profile -> Bitbucket Settings -> Labs (under APPS AND FEATURES) -> Turn off toggle of New pull request experience

Like Renuka Kulkarni likes this
1 vote
valkyre57 April 1, 2021

Dear Atlassian community is there any way to switch to old view? 

Please return old view.

1 vote
Raul Ardelean March 2, 2021

Dear Bitbucket/Atlassian,

As someone else mentioned here, it's work that we're doing here, not playing around. And if this slows down our work flow then this is really bad.

It's funny so many complaints here on the community forums about the new theme yet we have no choice but get stuck with it.

I too work on client facing projects and we usually try and incentivize the customers to try new ways by testing those features(loads of AB testing internally, including User/Usability testing + User research meetings done by 3rd party companies to help us identify UX issues with our products, not to mention tracking tools like contentsquare etc) but never went for radical design changes, which from a design point of view this is a bad approach.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I prefer the old look and feel even if it "feels old" to some of you. There's room for improvement in other areas, I don't think radical design changes were necessary.

With all respects, I struggle to understand what you're trying to achieve with this but it's clearly not trust

1 vote
Sabina Moor December 13, 2019

Pleeease return old Jira, we will never get used to this. It is sooo bad and not user-friendly at all.

Dan Walker December 13, 2019

Welcome Sabina to the Atlassian Community! 

Thanks for contributing, although this issue is marked as solved so I'm afraid it looks like Atlassian won't be changing their mind any time soon! Reading between the lines they will never change it back.

Atlassian's Modus Operandi these days I'm afraid, over concerned with tampering and inhibiting the UX (menu's being the latest) and not at all bothered by the issues plauging Next gen and making it unsuitable for any but the most simplistic Agile examples....

Hopefully more voices will eventually trigger Atlassian...

Merry Xmas!!!!

Dear Atlassian, this year we have been very good developers, we've kept to our time boxes and delivered positive burndowns so for Christmas we would very much like the old UX version, and parallel sprints in Next Gen, if you can fit that in our stockings!

Like # people like this
Sabina Moor December 13, 2019

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, i supposed it is impossible to return it :( 

i just had to cry out loud ;)

Merry Xmas!

Like andrelindner likes this
Dan Walker December 13, 2019

Many of us above (and silent members) share your pain! 

Indeed I saw your comment as I'm still subbed to this thread, just in case you know, a Christmas miracle happens and we can revert our cloud confluence back to the old UX! hehe

Please do stay and speak up in the community though, they do listen sometimes and if we didn't at least air our gripes they'll never understand the impact of changes. 

Maybe us developers are just caught up in the "we fear change" effect?!?! :D 

1 vote
Andrey Humeniuk July 11, 2019

Today I watched a video in youtube about some settings in jira, and there was old jira design... I had tears in my eyes... Everything was in the right place, everything was beautiful (yeah, it was very simple, and as beautiful as simple)... Nostalgia... It was like I eventually came home after very long trip.. And then video ended, and I woke up, and continued my work in new jira. Life is pain.

Dan Walker July 26, 2019

"We've come a long, long way...... only to find we want to be back where we started after all" haha

#Nostalga

EVERYTHING was perfect last year, now in (Insert year here) its all gone to shot....

Sadly us Dinosaurs always have to give way to "the yut" eventually, thankfully most of us are SysAdmins so we can always change the yut's passwords and give em a taste of their own medicine.

Just yesterday I was reminiscing about the sounds my old 56k flex modem used to make ( I can still recreate it tone for tone). This post on Stack Exchange made me feel especially Old/Nostalgic : https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/102266/what-is-the-purpose-of-this-red-room-in-stranger-things

0 votes
Fred J October 22, 2019

This is horrible. I am a paying customer and I will leave if there is no way to go back, that's how bad of a crappy business decision it was to move to this "new" design. 

0 votes
Dan Walker June 18, 2019

Also, additionally for service desk issues, the old view menu has the "Create Linked Issue" item, (all permissions set correctly), this is just missing from the new view.

I have to manually click the "See the old view" link atop each issue for every view of every issue. (That or append `?useOldView=1` to the URL each time).

Once again Atlassian subvert workable solutions in favour of a clean (but useless) view.

0 votes
Tim Scholten April 10, 2019

I really dislike the UX in Jira and Confluence Cloud at the moment. It's waisting so much time of me and my colleagues. Is it tested on speed of usage? 

mheck May 3, 2019

CLEARLY not.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
0 votes
Dmytro Tolkodubov March 13, 2019

Not sure if someone is going to read my reply, but new UI is so baaaaaaaaad! 

Jean Ressouche April 5, 2019

I read and i confirm, so far we can disable it and that's a good thing, but until when ?

Suggest an answer