How do you export Jira tickets from version 7.1.0 to version 8.5.4?

Julia Taylor October 20, 2021

I am trying to migrate Jira tickets over from a v7.1.0 board to a v8.5.4.

I understand this can be done by exporting all fields to excel, saving out as csv, importing via csv to the new system and mapping out the relevant fields.

A couple of the main requirements I have for this are to keep the epics and issues linked, and migrate comments over. Having spoken to someone who has carried out a similar migration previously they said they used the columns 'Issue ID', 'Parent ID' and 'Comment' to map the above. When I export I don't see any of these values. I'm not sure if this is just due to the old version of Jira I am exporting from or if there is something I am missing when doing the export.

Would appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Suvarna Gaikwad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2021

Hi @Julia Taylor Welcome to community

Exporting with option CSV (All fields) will export all fields including issue id, parent id as well as comments. PFB screenshot.

image.png

Julia Taylor October 21, 2021

Hi Suvarna, thanks for your response. On the version of Jira I'm exporting from there isn't the option to export as a csv, only to excel then I've saved out as csv. Please see screenshot below of the options. Not sure if this is just due to the version of Jira I'm using.

JiraScreenshot.PNG

Suvarna Gaikwad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

Hi @Julia Taylor Yes it seems the issue is in the JIRA version you are using and this issue has been fixed in 7.2 as mentioned here.

Workaround is to add below property in jira-config.properties in JIRA_HOME and restart your jira instance and then this option will be enabled for your version as well.

jira.csv.export.dialog.enabled = true

If file is not present in JIRA_HOME, create new file and add this property to it.

Julia Taylor October 21, 2021

Hi Suvarna, great thank you for your help. We aren't doing the migration for a while yet but I will make note of this solution and hopefully that will fix the issues.

Thank you

Julia

Suggest an answer