How do you display a static image in a screen?

KC Wong May 11, 2022

I want to display a static image in create/edit issue screen, an image of a chart to teach the users how to select a priority. 

I tried:

1. Create a custom field using a multiline text field.
  2. Set its renderer to wikiText renderer.
  3. Set its default value to ![Image URL here]!.
  4. Add a ScriptRunner behavior to change the field to read-only.

It sort of works, but the result is unsatisfactory: 

1. The wikiText editor buttons are still displayed. They are not clickable, but they are not grayed out either, leading user to think they can be used.  
    image003.png
  2. The wikiText editor still allows switching between Visual and Text mode. 
  3. In view issue screen, the edit button (pen icon) is still displayed for the custom field (when clicked it will show the edit screen with the custom field as read-only).
  4. The size of wikiText editor cannot be controlled, leading to ugly layout if the image size is not just right. 
    image002.png

Short of writing a custom control type myself (and I think layout would still be a problem), what are the other alternatives? 

1 answer

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2022

Hi @KC Wong

I recommend you update the field configuration and include a link to your definitions/instructions. 

Link: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/change-a-field-configuration/

You may have to create a field configuration scheme if you just want to apply it to a single project.

KC Wong May 11, 2022

Which field configuration can allow me to:

1. Set a preferred size for the editor?
  2. Make the wikiText editor to not show or gray out the toolbar buttons if it is read only?
  3. Mark a custom field to be read only on the view screen? So that no pen icon is displayed when I hover over the field.    
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2022

1. No configuration in jira would do that

2. Change the renderer to text only. I don't believe you can hide it for the wiki renderer.

3.if you want to make it read only in the view screen, you need separate screen for create, edit and view screens and assign them to your screen scheme.  You would remove the custom field in the edit and create screens

If you are still looking to have instructions on a customfield that would not be editable you would he disappointed since it won't look as nice as you think. That's why I recommend having a link to confluence as a description instead.

Hopefully someone has other options for you.

Suggest an answer