It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do you change the issue type for an existing issue?

We have a customer that is entering issues with incorrect issue types (ie. a Bug when it should be a Question).

How do I change that issue type? It does not seem to be editable, regardless of my assignee status.

5 answers

1 accepted

26 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Atlassian Team Apr 16, 2013

Hi Matt, Try moving the issue. You can choose to keep the project the same but change the issue type.

This documentation explains step by step how to move an issue: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Moving+an+Issue

Thanks (both of you) for the answer. It is due to different workflows that I need to change it. The move function seems a bit cumbersome, but it gets the job done.

There can't just be a dropdown to change? Then again, because Jira.

Like # people like this

Ironically, this is one place where classic is simpler than next-gen. If configured correctly, classic allows a ticket's type to be changed with a simple pull down menu. @Alex, please get this fix on the roadmap for next-gen.

See also:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Changing-Next-Gen-Jira-Issue-Types/qaq-p/1022981

Like # people like this

Hmm, I'm not sure exactly why, but it is now working for me as a simple pull down menu to change the issue type.

I suspect it might have to do with the fact that I included all of the same ticket fields across my different issue types. Either that, or something changed on the latest version of Jira Cloud.

-- Joe

I am trying to do same still not working for me as of 11/06/2019

arunkj I'm New Here Nov 07, 2019

Hi, When i move an issue type to another issue type, will the contents entered in Custom Field for the existing issue will be moved to the changed issue type

Is it possible to change issue type using regular edit button when there are different workflows in the project? Scenario: issue is open on the screen, I click on the issue type name, I check the list => there is no issue type (different workflow). Is it just a bug or there is another reason why it is not working? 

thanks a lot. it works.

Like Vadim Onisimov likes this

Whenever I run into this problem it's usually because the issue type I _want_ belongs to a different workflow. In that case I use the "Move" function. Might be worth a look.

For changing a task to a bug workflow, you have to use Move 

Like Dmytro Kutsai likes this

You can also allow the issue type field on your edit screen this will allow you to change the issue type as long as it is not restricted by the field configuration.

Thank you for the  suggestion. It works.

Hi all. I'm working with Jira Service Desk Cloud. I cannot find the "issue type" field in my "custom fields" screen.

I trying to enable this field in order to permit to change the issue type in the Edit screen using a combo box.

Ref: "You can also allow the issue type field on your edit screen this will allow you to change the issue type as long as it is not restricted by the field configuration." from @Timothy Harris.

thanks in advance.

Jira interface has changed quite a bit since then.

I agree with Accepted Answer. However, if you consume information better in the video format, I have answered your question with a video: (For 2019 Jira)

https://youtu.be/8dakajnzUSo

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

376 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you