How do you change the issue type for an existing issue?

Matt April 16, 2013

We have a customer that is entering issues with incorrect issue types (ie. a Bug when it should be a Question).

How do I change that issue type? It does not seem to be editable, regardless of my assignee status.

9 answers

1 accepted

42 votes
Answer accepted
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2013

Hi Matt, Try moving the issue. You can choose to keep the project the same but change the issue type.

This documentation explains step by step how to move an issue: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Moving+an+Issue

Matt April 16, 2013

Thanks (both of you) for the answer. It is due to different workflows that I need to change it. The move function seems a bit cumbersome, but it gets the job done.

Like James Dirks likes this
Charlie_Fortuno August 21, 2019

There can't just be a dropdown to change? Then again, because Jira.

Like # people like this
Joe Sandmeyer August 29, 2019

Ironically, this is one place where classic is simpler than next-gen. If configured correctly, classic allows a ticket's type to be changed with a simple pull down menu. @Alex, please get this fix on the roadmap for next-gen.

See also:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Changing-Next-Gen-Jira-Issue-Types/qaq-p/1022981

------------ Note --------

This is working now see subsequent comment

Like # people like this
Joe Sandmeyer October 7, 2019

Hmm, I'm not sure exactly why, but it is now working for me as a simple pull down menu to change the issue type.

I suspect it might have to do with the fact that I included all of the same ticket fields across my different issue types. Either that, or something changed on the latest version of Jira Cloud.

-- Joe

dan_marcantel November 6, 2019

I am trying to do same still not working for me as of 11/06/2019

arunkj November 7, 2019

Hi, When i move an issue type to another issue type, will the contents entered in Custom Field for the existing issue will be moved to the changed issue type

keshari.manish January 9, 2020

Hi @arunkj 

First of all wish you a very happy new year!

IMO data from all fields (system as well as custom) remains intact as there is only 1 change happening that is the issue type is changing. in my project i moved a story to task and had data in 2 custom fields (when issuetype = story) which automatically got updated/made visible in the new issuetype = task....

The only catch here is, how have you created your custom field will decide whether the data shall be moved to new issuetype or not.

While creation of custom field, was  it done for all possible issue types or you had selected only some issue types...e.g. you created a custom field 1 as an admin and while creation you set this field only for say 2 issue types i.e. story and bug. now you had created a story with data/value in custom field 1. If you move this story to bug, the data/value in custom field 1 will be automatically updated/made visible by ssytem in the new issuetype of bug. But in case you move story to say task, then system will not automatically move/udpate task with this custom field 1 data because this field itself is not associated or set for issue type = task.

Additionally, the workflow shall also matter. That is do all issuetype have same workflow (i.e. same set of status values), if YES, then movement will be automatically taken care but if not then movement may not be possible as there will be no relevant status for the new issue type.

in above e.g. Assume story and bug have status as open, WIP, test and Done..whereas say task has status as open , WIP and Done...lets say story had status as test and now you try to move it to task, system will not be able update the status automatically for this movement.

Hope it helps. in case you have more query, feel free to ask

7 votes
Jack Baty April 16, 2013

Whenever I run into this problem it's usually because the issue type I _want_ belongs to a different workflow. In that case I use the "Move" function. Might be worth a look.

Ed Chennault February 10, 2017

For changing a task to a bug workflow, you have to use Move 

Like # people like this
Steffen Jantke April 28, 2020

To move the issue worked for me. Good workaround!

Like Tung Nguyen likes this
Tung Nguyen October 22, 2020

It works like a charm. Thanks!

Tetyana SAVENKO January 22, 2021

hello all!

Moving issues works great ... MANUALLY. Is there a way to do it through automation?

A simple "issueType" issue field update only seems to do the trick, it's not "moving" the issue properly where the workflow remains that of an original issue type.

If there is a way to change the associate workflow through automation - that would be an acceptable workaround. 

Thank you! 

5 votes
Ewa Boloczko January 4, 2016

Is it possible to change issue type using regular edit button when there are different workflows in the project? Scenario: issue is open on the screen, I click on the issue type name, I check the list => there is no issue type (different workflow). Is it just a bug or there is another reason why it is not working? 

Silvia Tsai April 23, 2017

thanks a lot. it works.

Like Vadim Onisimov likes this
2 votes
Anatoly Spektor January 24, 2019

Jira interface has changed quite a bit since then.

I agree with Accepted Answer. However, if you consume information better in the video format, I have answered your question with a video: (For 2019 Jira)

https://youtu.be/8dakajnzUSo

2 votes
Timothy Harris April 29, 2015

You can also allow the issue type field on your edit screen this will allow you to change the issue type as long as it is not restricted by the field configuration.

Silvia Tsai April 23, 2017

Thank you for the  suggestion. It works.

silvia nane September 19, 2017

Hi all. I'm working with Jira Service Desk Cloud. I cannot find the "issue type" field in my "custom fields" screen.

I trying to enable this field in order to permit to change the issue type in the Edit screen using a combo box.

Ref: "You can also allow the issue type field on your edit screen this will allow you to change the issue type as long as it is not restricted by the field configuration." from @Timothy Harris.

thanks in advance.

1 vote
Lexi Pike February 24, 2021

Does anyone know if there has been a recent update to classic projects. I used to be able to change issue type via drop down. Now, I've come back after a week off and when I click to edit issue type, the move issue screen appears. I've made no changes to configuration. Workflow, screens and fields are all the same for both issue types. Wondered whether this is a known bug or an update?

Ken Siskind March 3, 2021

I've noticed the same thing.  Actually it looks like that only happens if the issue types in the project don't have the same workflow, or screen configuration or field configuration.  In the project where all of those are the same, I can change the issue type just by clicking on the issuetype icon. 

0 votes
Shaun Geoghegan May 14, 2021

Simply click on the issue type icon and it presents a dropdown list as per the classic interface.

James Milenkovic June 23, 2021

This appears as broken for us :( It goes to the weird Move Issue workflow screen) 

0 votes
Darryll Robinson February 10, 2021

A bulk update allows you to change just the Issue Type as well; it might be easier than moving the whole thing.

0 votes
Randeep Rai May 6, 2020

Excellent thanks!

Suggest an answer