How do you add watchers to a Jira ticket when it is set to "In Review"?

Jason Sutherland
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 14, 2024

I would like to add certain watchers to a ticket once the dev has set it to "in review" and also have the watcher notified via email. How would I go abourt doing this please?

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jenny Severin May 14, 2024

You can set it up via automation as so:add watchers.jpg

Jason Sutherland
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 14, 2024

Thanks Jenny! Will they be notified automatically by email when they have been added as a watcher?

Jenny Severin May 14, 2024

@Jason Sutherland  I just performed some checks in my instance and I noticed that the watcher did not receive an initial email notification that they were added as a watcher.   

I confirmed that the notification scheme has the watcher role listed for all the project events*

You can update your automation rule to send an email:

email watcher.jpgYou will need to enter the user's email address in the "To" line.

*You should probably verify the notification scheme used in the project to ensure that the watcher will receive the notifications after they are added as watcher.  Please be aware that a user can change their own email notifications settings via their profile in Cloud instances. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2024

Hi @Jason Sutherland ,

You could create an automation rule that is triggered by the transition to the "In Review" status. In the rule, you can use the "Manage Watchers" action to set new watchers to the issue.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 16.46.56.png

Best regards,

kris

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders