How do we link a task to a story

John Houser December 10, 2021

Newbie here. 

I piloting Jira before adopting for a wider team, and have most of Jira figured out.

I have searched, and I have been unsuccessful finding out exactly what setting I need to change in order to link a TASK to a STORY.

I am looking to do this type of hierarchy:

jira hierarchy.jpg

And when I click on the three dots on the TASK and select Add Parent

add parent.jpg

I only get the option to add an Epic parent, not a Story parent.

epic only.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

Hi @John Houser  and welcome to the Community!

On the Story, you click on Link Issue and enter the issue key of the Task and choose the type of linkage you want it to be (Blocks, Relates to, ...). Or you can do the same on the Task but enter the Story key there.

HTH,
KGM

John Houser December 11, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen  - Thank you!

Yes, this is what we were looking for!

story link.jpg

Thank you again!

Like # people like this
Michael Figueras March 26, 2023

Thank you for this. I have been on different JIRA courses and this was not mentioned. Appreciate the help. 

Like # people like this
5 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2021

Hi @John Houser -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Based upon your hierarchy example image, you may instead want to use the Jira issue types:

• Epic
    • Story
      • Sub-task

Tasks in Jira are at the same level as Story and Bug (defect), and so can only be connected with links, as @Kristján Geir Mathiesen describes.  Sub-tasks are child items of a Story, Task, or Bug.

Kind regards,
Bill

John Houser December 11, 2021

Thank you @Bill Sheboy  I was using that.  We were hoping to have the tasks visible on the board and move across the board during the sprint.

Like # people like this
Rose Alcolea September 15, 2022

Hi John, 

You can do that by configuring your board so it shows sub-tasks. In your Board Configuration, go to Card Layout and under Backlog choose "Sub-Tasks" and add it.

Hope this helps!

Like # people like this
Philip Couling May 30, 2023

I'd have two concerns with this approach:

1. The inevitable cognitive dissonance in placing "subtasks" under "stories" and not "subtasks" under "tasks" as any native english speaker would naturally understand these concepts.
  2. Effectively removing the availability of subtasks for their intended purpose: breaking up large tasks.
Like # people like this
Michael Aglas June 15, 2023

But... You can have sub-tasks for any issuetype, can't you? Like you could breakdown a Bug, Feature, whatever into sub-tasks. It just means you need several sub steps in order to fulfill the Issue. Also you can have different type of sub-tasks, like analysis, review, implementation, documentation and so on. And you can't even restrict what subtask type belongs to what standard issuetype... so why needing it to be restrictive?

0 votes
Gary Walvin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2024

This doesn't make any sense.

• I have a story.
  • I have tasks to be done to fulfill it.
  • I have subtasks that break down what needs to be done to fulfill the tasks.

Tasks and Stories really shouldn't live at the same level.

0 votes
Brian Nelson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2023

This may be new functionality since the previous replies above, but you can do what was requested these days if you don't mind using the SubTask type:

Open the Task and click the little icon beside the task name to change issue type.

There you can select to convert it to a Sub-Task. From there you will be prompted which Parent object to link it to, and you can then enter the Story id to link it to.

Yes this will change a Task to a Sub-Task. The hirearchy restrictions mentioned by Bill Sheboy still seem to be present.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events