How are these issue types used in Marketing and Consulting?
Planning, structuring, executing and monitoring tasks and their progress in Jira is made possible by Jira’s elements called Epic, Story and Task. Definition and distinction is oftentimes done for developer teams and their processes, which is why we want to explain them in relation to Marketing and Consulting teams.
Tasks can be part of Stories, which means that Stories can be seen as the overriding task, sometimes called User Story. Stories can be a bigger project, like the creation of new landing pages in marketing or the migration of instances in consulting.
Epics represent either topics or overriding goals, which are then broken down into Stories and Tasks.
By using Epics, Stories and Tasks, Jira teams are able to record small and big successes throughout the year. This helps keeping momentum. Project leads and stakeholders are at the same time keeping an overview and status updates along every step of the way.
1. Epic: Our Marketing team uses Epics in order to define the topic of the task.
2. Stories: We use Stories to plan big to-dos or projects, which are going to be part of multiple sprints and with multiple tasks and employees. The project lead is assigned to the Story to keep an overview.
Example: Article creation “Epic vs. Story vs. Task”
3. Tasks: Tasks are single to-dos, assigned to one employee and planned in a specific sprint. Tasks are oftentimes part of a story and cross-linked.
Example: Article Research, Article creation, Proofreading, Publishing
Implementing a Jira instance for a company
1. Epic: In our Consulting team Epics represent single services.
2. Stories: The story represent the goal, namely implementing a Jira instance for a customer.
Example: “Implementing Jira instance Customer X”
3. Tasks: Tasks are single to-dos and problems, which should be done and solved before going live with the new Jira instance. Tasks are finished weekly by the consultants.
Example: Record current status, Prepare meeting, roadmap implementation, testing
P.S. We are also holding a free webinar "How to get started in Jira" on April, 28 and we'll be happy to see you. Sign up and learn more about the best tool for project management.
Andrei Pisklenov _Actonic_Marketplace Partner
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events