How do i easily delete data from jira ... I am just evaluating.

Darin Bailey March 13, 2015

Just trying to start fresh with the current copy.

Darin

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2015

Depends on what you want to delete. Deleting projects is the easiest way to delete the issues and data associated with them. If you have other configuration changes, you will have to delete them separately.

3 votes
teilor_soares
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2015

If you want a fresh installation of JIRA without reinstalling, you can...

• stop JIRA 
  • drop the database
  • recreate the database with the same name and permissions it has before
  • start JIRA again and you will see the Setup Wizard to configure your fresh JIRA instance.

But, if you want just to delete the issue data but keep the configurations (workflows, users etc), just delete the projects, as Jobin advised.

anhnnp October 28, 2019

ok, tnx

1 vote
Silviu Burcea
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2015

I'm always renaming the dbconfig.xml file and deleting the data folder from JIRA Home. A faster alternative that doesn't require JIRA restart is to create an empty backup and restore it every time you need to clean your JIRA instance.

anhnnp October 28, 2019

thanks so much!

0 votes

Thanks for your input as well Teilor. Much appreciated.

0 votes

Thanks John ... Its just that we imported from a bugzilla source and we want to do a fresh import instead of importing on top of what was there. I wasn't quite sure that deleting projects was actually enough.

Suggest an answer