How do I use a different workflow on an issue than the project default?

I'm new to Jira and probably missing something obvious, but I don't see how to use different workflows on individual issues within a project. For example, I've created different workflows for "Bug" and "New feature" but I only see how to assign a workflow at the project level and when I create a new issue it defaults to the workflow for the project. Thanks for any help.

-st

3 answers

Follow these steps to use different workflows for different issues in the same project:

In Administration mode

1. Create your new workflow
2. Click workflow schemes
3. Click Add workflow scheme
4. Give it a name and description and click Add

Here's the critical part
5. Click Assign a workflow. Now associate an issue type with a specific workflow. In our case I created a new workflow for Bugs and linked it to the issue type Bug.

6. Continue assigning workflows to issues until you have the workflow scheme you like. Be sure to add a default workflow for "All Unassigned Issue Types".

Another critical part:
To actually use your new workflow scheme, you need to assign it to a project. This is the part conceptually I had trouble with, but as people had told me, it really does provide some interesting flexibility.

7. Select the project you want to use this scheme for.
8. Click "more" in the Workflows section of the summary admin page
9. In the upper right corner there is a drop down labeled "Actions". Click it and select "Use a different scheme"
10. Now select you new workflow scheme and click "Associate"
11. Repeat for all projects you want to use the new workflow scheme.

Thank you so much for your help. My mistake was creating two different workflow schemes so I couldn't associate the project to both of them. I only need to add the new issue type and new workflow association under the same workflow scheme. It works well now. Thanks again.

Sara

On the 4.4.3 JIRA (installed):

• Project, select a project
  • Administer project
  • Issue Types
  • The third column is {{Workflow}} and that is where you click-to-set the workflow

I'll put in the answer for the online version (i'm blocked from where I am)

G.

When I click the workflow link it takes me to the workflow designer and I don't see any option to select a different one.

I have the same problem. It would be great if we can associate each issue type with different workflow and screen. I'm stuck with the same screen theme and workflow scheme associated with 2 different issue types but not able to change. The "Use a different scheme" function can only change the two workflows or screens at the same time. Please help.

Sara

Hi

I have a related problem. I have created a new workflow and a new issue type. I have switched the project workflow scheme but I notice that in the workflow scheme Unassigned Types is also now set to the new workflow.

My question is what did I do wrong and how can I set Unassigned Types to another workflow ?

I found the solution by creating a new workflow scheme and assigning the new workflow to one issue type only.

What I don´t understand is how to edit an existing workflow scheme to re-assign the issue types to different workflows. 

Joe Pitt Community Champion Jul 19, 2017

Create a new workflow scheme and assign the issue types to the desired workflow. Then assign the new scheme to the project. WARNING: If your delete any of the old statuses you will be asked to map any issues in those statuses to a new status. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,322 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot