How do I track Features and linked Epics in swimlanes on a board across projects?

DennisR May 5, 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a portfolio/programme backlog similar to the following blog articles in Jira-On-Demand:

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/10/project-portfolio-management-with-jira-agile-12/

https://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/10/project-portfolio-management-with-jira-agile-22/

Goal:

On a Portfolio project board, show FEATURE names in swimlanes with EPICS from 'child' project (e.g. one of several Team backlogs).

SWIMLANE 1 = FEATURE 1

>Project 1 - EPIC 1

>Project 1 - EPIC 2

>Project 2 - EPIC 1

SWIMLANE 2 = FEATURE 2

>Project 1 - EPIC 3

>Project 1 - EPIC 4

>Project 2 - EPIC 2

...Essentially this would emulate what the 'Story' swimlane option does with standard issues except at a different level and across projects.

Methods:

I've tried various JQL queries using 'linked issues', but I don't seem to find good examples of how to return the linking hierarchy. It seems like ALL the link and data plug-ins recommended to make this easier are for the 'hosted' version of Jira.

Question:

Am I going to have to migrate to a 'hosted' version from On-demand to use a plug-in or can someone point me to some examples of how this has been done in On-demand previously?

Dennis

4 answers

0 votes
ellynoy bar on February 27, 2017

i have the same problem - will be great to have a solution for this. I keep losing information - since i cannot cut it features and track the items from different project and their progress

0 votes
Krzysztof Pawula March 2, 2015

Hi Dennis,

I see on JIRA how to add swimlines and inside my EPICS.

I will look on that how JIRA make this JQL and then I will change a swimlines to FEATURE.

Best regards

Krzysztof

0 votes
DennisR March 2, 2015

Hi Krzsiek,

No, I realised I need to be able to customise JQL a lot more than I can on the JIRA Cloud. I was trying to work out how to implement a Safe agile programme backlog linked to several Team backlogs to be able to show status to business stakeholders.

Yours, Dennis

0 votes
Krzysztof Pawula March 2, 2015

Hi Dennis,

do You have a solution to this issue?

Best regards

Krzysiek

Suggest an answer