It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I stop the jira mail handler from deleting imap emails?

I've set up the default jira (server) incoming mail service and set up the mail handler to create issues.
It is correctly set up as imap and not accidentally set up as pop.

Same behaviour on outlook.com and also office365.com domains.

The jira documentation explicitly states that it won't delete the emails but it is.

If JIRA successfully processes a message, JIRA deletes the message from your mail account (on a POP) or file system (i.e. for file system messages). On an IMAP mail server processed messages are not deleted but marked as read.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mohammed Amine Community Leader Jun 13, 2019

It is a known bug : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67745. 

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. 

Thank you for this.

I'm using JIRA version 8.4.1 and I'm having the same problem, is it still unresolved?

0 votes

It sounds like the account is not been allowed to mark messages "read", so it has no choice but to try to delete.

What does the log file on the email server say Jira is trying to do and what it achieves (or not)?

Hi

If I am not mistaken some mail servers have setting about what to do with a mail that is accessed by an application.

Please check if Office365 is one of these and check the settings on the mailbox to see if it is set to delete mail that is accessed over Imap

Installed JEMH and it's not deleting them except for the ones successfully processed.

Additionally we're accessing it in outlook client via imap and outlook web client and it isn't deleting them.

So that rules out both suggestions and places it firmly as a bug (or incorrect documentation).

Thanks for contributing though. Much appreciated.

Nope, that's what it is supposed to do, and what is documented.

Which part of "On an IMAP mail server processed messages are not deleted but marked as read." tells you that on imap they're not marked as read but are instead deleted?

If you're referring to JEMH I agree that it's behaving as expected. I only included that to indicate that the deletion was not from accessing the server as was suggested.

Clearly the default mail handler is not behaving as documented.

So, as you say it is behaving as documented, I'm not sure where the problem is?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

872 views 6 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you