How do I stop the jira mail handler from deleting imap emails?

David B November 22, 2018

I've set up the default jira (server) incoming mail service and set up the mail handler to create issues.
It is correctly set up as imap and not accidentally set up as pop.

Same behaviour on outlook.com and also office365.com domains.

The jira documentation explicitly states that it won't delete the emails but it is.

If JIRA successfully processes a message, JIRA deletes the message from your mail account (on a POP) or file system (i.e. for file system messages). On an IMAP mail server processed messages are not deleted but marked as read.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2019

It is a known bug : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67745. 

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. 

David B June 13, 2019

Thank you for this.

Carlos Guanes October 18, 2019

I'm using JIRA version 8.4.1 and I'm having the same problem, is it still unresolved?

Like Capital Careers likes this
0 votes
Денис Шитягин December 30, 2021

Hi, I managed to get around the error by setting up a rule in outllook for all letters that come to the mail: => copying to the folder, which I called "for reply", thereby the handler removes the letter from the inbox, but a copy of the letter remains in the folder.

0 votes
Alison Milne October 7, 2021

Has this been resolved?

0 votes
David B November 24, 2018

Installed JEMH and it's not deleting them except for the ones successfully processed.

Additionally we're accessing it in outlook client via imap and outlook web client and it isn't deleting them.

So that rules out both suggestions and places it firmly as a bug (or incorrect documentation).

Thanks for contributing though. Much appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2018

Nope, that's what it is supposed to do, and what is documented.

David B November 25, 2018

Which part of "On an IMAP mail server processed messages are not deleted but marked as read." tells you that on imap they're not marked as read but are instead deleted?

If you're referring to JEMH I agree that it's behaving as expected. I only included that to indicate that the deletion was not from accessing the server as was suggested.

Clearly the default mail handler is not behaving as documented.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2018

So, as you say it is behaving as documented, I'm not sure where the problem is?

0 votes
Robert de Groot November 23, 2018

Hi

If I am not mistaken some mail servers have setting about what to do with a mail that is accessed by an application.

Please check if Office365 is one of these and check the settings on the mailbox to see if it is set to delete mail that is accessed over Imap

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2018

It sounds like the account is not been allowed to mark messages "read", so it has no choice but to try to delete.

What does the log file on the email server say Jira is trying to do and what it achieves (or not)?

Suggest an answer