How do I stop Jira from automatically putting strikethrough formatting on text surrounded by hyphens

Jeremy Papke February 14, 2019

I am writing  acceptance criteria for a user story where we need to replace a string "-xx-xx-xx-xx" with a string "-xx-1-xx-xx". If I put any kind of text formatting on the "xx" and the "1" to highlight that 'these are the things that are changing', then the text on saving is changed to strikethrough formatting.

I literally cannot create the acceptance criteria as I would like to because of the markup Jira uses to do text formatting. It seems this person was having the same issue, and discovered that this is actually expected behavior, although it is highly undesirable in my case.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Issue-Comments-have-random-strike-throughs-of-text-how-to-fix/qaq-p/21858

How can I stop Jira from transforming this text to strikethrough?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Poulson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2019

You can use the backslash character as an escape character in Jira markdown. Example:

\-No Strikethrough\-

displays as -No Strikethrough-

Jeremy Papke February 15, 2019

Thank you, that worked. :)

Like Ben Poulson likes this
Deleted user November 8, 2019

This doesn't help much with cut and paste if you have to go back and edit to reinsert and escape all the dashes.  I would rather ask for strikethrough if i want it since it's not used very often.   Confluence has a way to disable autoformatting.  I haven't been able to find a similar setting for the Jira editor.

Like # people like this
Chris Kemp May 16, 2022

Totally agree with 'Deleted user'.  I cut/paste , generally from a unix/linux command line, into Jira Xray Actual Result.  It is not a workable solution to escape each hyphen.  It is highly annoying that the Quote option does not quota the actual content (as I would expect a 'quote' function to).

It appears that the 'official' workaround is to use Code.  This works (with the addition of line numbering) but it is not sufficient.  There appears to be a limitation on the amount of code, which is small, and you cannot colour text to highlight any aspects of your result. 

Suggest an answer