How do I setup the users/groups and their respective permissions/roles to create issues?

Sebastian Rabe April 12, 2017

I'm really struggling here. 

First some notes on the setup:

It's the standalone version of JIRA Service Desk (v3.1.9, core v7.3.4 ) with licensed for 3 Agents. 
There is not and there won't be a login for customers. As of now issues are created via e-mail. The mails are fetched by an e-mail handler. 

The 3 agents are members of the jira-service-desk group and jira-administrators.

New issues are created with the admin user as creator of the issue. This is what I want to change. If the first issue of a customers is created with the admin as the creator of the issue, it is okay. The second should be created with the user of the customer. This user is created manually(without invitation).  

The problem I have here is that, if I want a mail, a user has written to be fetched from the mailbox, this user must be a member of a group, that has access to the jira service desk application. This user counts towards the agents (therefore needs a license upgrade). Even though the user's project role is only customer. Btw. the fetched mail would create an issue in the right project. So this works.

But it is advertised that for customers there are no further costs.

So my question is: How do I have to setup the users' permissions, groups, roles, etc. to have a customer write an e-mail with his user account as the creator without having to upgrading to a unlimited user license, which certainly is no option - moneywise.

Thanks in advance

Sebastian

2 answers

0 votes
Sebastian Rabe May 11, 2017

After reading the documentation once more even more carefully, I found out, that the mail setup regarding incoming customer mails for JIRA Service Desk is done very differently than within the rest of the JIRA products, 

So, for anyone who encounters my "stupidly" created thread on that topic:

If you do not want customer mails to "clog up" your user accounts, use the service desk projects customer channels under project configuration and NOT the system wide incoming mail setup.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2017

Your customers need to have accounts in order for them to interact with the system.  Even if they don't log in, you have to have the account in order to say "this person logged it"

Customer accounts are free, but very limited, they don't need permissions other than "they are a customer".

Sebastian Rabe April 13, 2017

Hi Nic, thanks for the quick response.

I created user accounts in user management. I guess, that got lost in translation as I'm no native english speaker. 

usermanagement.png

The user in the picture above has the role Service Desk Customers. 

If I write an e-mail addressed to the mailbox, which is fetched by the mail handler from the Incoming Mail section, it's not getting fetched. If I manually try to fetch it (logged in as the admin) by using the setup dialog of the mail handler, I get an error.

Which reads as follows: 

Found 1 unprocessed message(s) in the imap folder. Cannot create issue due to invalid license: [Sorry, you can't create any issues right now, as you need to have access to JIRA application to be able to creat  issues. To gain application access you need to be a member of a group assigned to an application.]

This error only occures, if the mail address, from which it's sent, matches one of the freshly created users (with the customer role assigned). 

When I try to follow the suggestion from the error message to give a group application access. The members of this group are added towards the licensed users. Which it shouldn't -  as I understand it.

I guess I need some detailed instructions to accomplish the things I want. If anyone could be so kind. 

Thanks

Suggest an answer