How do I set resolutions on Closed issues? I don't see an option.

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

What the subject says. When I move an issue to a Closed status I don't see an option to set a resolution.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

This is an oft asked question the Community. The steps are as follows:

1. create a screen that displays the Resolution field. Note: you may already have one so check under the Screens admin page
  2. edit the workflow in diagram mode
  3. double-click the transition to Done/Closed. Make sure you do this for any transition to Done/Closed.
  4. add screen from #1 to the transition
  5. add a Validation step to require the Resolution field
  6. publish the changes
Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

When I do this I get a screen that pops up and displays a text box field. I know elsewhere in Jira there's resolution types. I like the option of a text box but can I also include the resolution drop down menu?

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2019

I'm doing something wrong.

Ready for release   Jira.png

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2019

I'm doing something wrong.

Ready for release   Jira.png

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2019

Ah, I see that there was a system resolution screen already there. I got it working!

Allison Phillips August 31, 2021

You can also set this when the issue transitions to specific closed states as an automation.

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

If the resolution is not set before an issue is closed then you will have to reopen the issue to be able to edit it and set the resolution.  The resolution should be set as part of the workflow.  There are several ways to do this, the most common being to add the resolution to the post function of the transition to closing the issue or adding the resolution field to the close transition screen and requiring the user to select a resolution.  

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/working-with-workflows-776636540.html

0 votes
Peggy MacDonald February 7, 2020

Thank you for showing me how to find the add a screen to the flow. I've been trying to figure it out for hours. Now I need to figure out why the resolution isn't displayed once its been selected :-(. 

Suggest an answer