How do I set default assignee to a custom field in my project?

Ankita Sinha August 11, 2016

3 answers

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2016

If there are no plugin, then default assignee can be based on "Component Lead" being the default assignee but you would need to use that specific component in your issue. But in your case you want it to be assigned to the "business owner", thus you have to select the component which has the component lead the business owner which you have filled. That way the business owner will become the default assignee. 

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2016
Assuming you need to set the issue's assignee with a different user depending on the selected option in your custom field:

You can use the built-in project Component(s) field instead of a custom field:
  1. Create one component for each value you would otherwise set in your custom field.
  2. Configure the component leads.
  3. Set 'Component Lead' as the default assignee as per your needs.
Other approaches for your custom fields might also be possible through the inclusion of a post-function on the desired transition, but those are subject to have changes in a near future because of the upcoming removal of JMWE addon.
I have just noticed the presence of labels that suggest your project is a Service Desk one.
If you are using a Service Desk, all said above is still true, but you also have more options at your disposal, like creating a Custom Automation Rule with different conditions for editing the assignee field with a different value.
For example, we could set the assignee depending on the value of a custom field named Customer:
automation.png
You might need to create several IF conditions for each different user you would like to set as the assignee.
Hope it helps.
Ankita Sinha August 12, 2016

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. Very helpful. But one question- I do not see automation option under my project settings. Please check image.Capture.PNG

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2016

That project is a Business one (JIRA Core) and not a Service Desk one; that's why.

Maybe, you have more options available on that screen's project type, like Software and/or Service Desk.

I assumed your project was a Service Desk one because this question contains the labels: jira-servicedesk and jira-servicedesk-cloud.

If the project is not os type Service Desk, then the Automation Rules are not available on the project at all.

So, I would recommend creating components with the name of each Business Owner, set the username of the BO as the component lead, and set each component to be assigned by default to the component lead.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2016

Hi Tarun,

I have created a project and I want it to be automatically assigned to the business owner which is one of the fields I added when I create an issue under this project. Whatever, I fill in the business owner field, I want the issue to be assigned to the same person. How do I achieve this?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2016

You may create an Automation Rule like this:

WHEN: Issue Created

IF: Issue matches "Business Owner" = bob

THEN: Edit issue > Field: Assignee > Value: bob

Finally, add some more IFs with different THEN actions.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2016

Do you have some plugins installed, as the functionality you want requires a plugin.

Hi Tarun, no I do not have any plugins.

I will try it out! many thanks smile

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2016

Ok, Please upvote/accept the answer if it works out for you, thanks.

Suggest an answer